BLUE VALLEY SOUTHWEST BASKETBALL
Players Must Follow us on Twitter: @BVSWHoops
All important communications (including schedule changes) will be communicated via Twitter
Opportunities for the fall
Preseason Workouts: This year we have a high number of basketball athletes out for a fall sport (this is great as we believe in multiple sport athletes AND strongly encourage all athletes to participate in a fall sport). As a result, we will not have formal preseason workouts. In the meantime, we suggest that those not out for a fall sport continue doing their IWOP summer HW into the fall AND additionally we suggest that those not out for a fall sport get in a weight room for strength training. See documents below for suggested workouts.
Upcoming Open Gyms:
Monday, August 22nd: 6-7:30pm
Thursday, August 25th: 6-7:30pm
Monday, August 29th: 6-7:30pm
Wednesday, August 31: 6-7:30pm
Tuesday, September 6th: 6-7:30pm
Tuesday, September 13th: 6-7:30pm
Thursday, September 22nd: 6-7:30pm
Wednesday, September 28th: 6-7:30pm
Monday, October 3rd: 6-7:30pm
Thursday, October 6th: 6-7:30pm
Monday, October 10th: Cancelled
Wednesday, October 12th: 7-8:30pm
Monday, October 17th: 7-8:30pm Aux Gym
Wednesday, October 19th: 7-8:30pm Aux Gym
Thursday, October 20th; 6-7:30pm Main Gym
Tuesday, October 25th: 3-4:45pm Main Gym
Tuesday, November 1st; 7-8:30pm Gym Main Gym
Wednesday, November 2nd: 3-5 pm Aux Gym Unless fall sports get moved inside due to weather. If this happens then open gym will move to 7-8:30
Reminder: Tryout Meeting Thursday (Nov 3rd) in room 313 at 2:55 followed by conditioning on the track...done by 4:00
Participation in pre-season activities is optional and by no means guarantees anyone of making a basketball team this winter. Our fall activities merely provide opportunities for you to get better.
THOUGHTS FOR THE FALL:
- You are a student first: Care about your grades. Be on time to class. Act right in class. Don’t let your coaches hear from your teacher(s) that you are being a problem or not giving good effort.
- Make smart choices: IT’S NOT BASKETBALL SEASON, BUT YOU STILL REFLECT THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM!!
- What are you doing to improve your athletic and basketball skills? Workouts, jump training, open gyms, individual work!
- Don’t forget to enjoy life!!!
HOW DO I MAKE THE BASKETBALL TEAM HERE AT SW? THIS IS WHAT WE EVALUATE YOU ON:
- Academics—grades (80% or better), behavior, effort, attendance, being on time to class.
- Coachability—listening skills, effort, desire, mental toughness.
- Basketball Skills and Potential—your abilities to play basketball and your ability/willingness to become a great teammate—5 Point Play.
- Willingness to buy into what we ask.
BE RESPONSIBLE!! COMMUNICATE!! CARE ABOUT YOUR TEAMMATES!!
Good teams count on their teammates. Don’t let your teammates down: Your actions (both on and off of the court) have an impact on us – not just you. Hold each other accountable.
Eligibility—See Mr. Howard (Athletic Director) for specific questions regarding eligibility.
Any player wishing to try out for basketball on Monday, November 14th must complete and turn in an athletic packet prior to tryouts. You can find the packet at Diane Murdock’s desk (in the Athletic Department Office).
Players who have not completed the athletic packet will be unable to participate--NO EXCEPTIONS
Five Point Play
These are the five fundamental points that can help make a good team great.
1) Communication – Tell the truth if someone is doing something bad, mediocre or great. Don’t be afraid of hearing the truth or of telling the truth.
2) Trust – A team who trusts one another will also have confidence among one another.
3) Collective Responsibility –We win and we lose together.
4) Caring – We care for one another.
5) Pride – If we do all these things, we develop the pride within ourselves.
To receive weekly schedules Follow us on Twitter: @BVSWHoops