01/11/22 Board of Education update
Blue Valley Families,
Monday night, the Blue Valley Board of Education made a modification to the existing masking policy due to the increase in community spread of COVID-19. Beginning Wednesday, Jan. 12, Blue Valley will look at two metrics when determining masking requirements for students and staff in grades 9-12 and the 18-21 Program.
Masking will be required for at least two weeks when:
- Total percentage of students positive or identified for quarantine by the JCDHE exceeds 3%
- Student absenteeism for illness exceeds 7% in any individual school building
The board also added to the updated policy that masks are optional in all high school buildings and the 18-21 program outside of the regular school day.
With this announcement, the following mitigation measures remain unchanged.
- The Johnson County Board of Health Order No. 001-21 requiring masks inside school buildings for all early childhood and K-8 students, staff and visitors.
- Federal regulations requiring masking for all students, including high school students and staff, on school buses and in district vehicles.
- Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA) COVID-19 Mitigation Information and COVID-19 Return to Participation Guidelines. At this time, there are no masking requirements.
- Continued mitigation efforts within our schools. Staff who travel to or visit schools at multiple levels in the district are asked to follow masking guidelines for the specific school they are attending or visiting.
COVID DASHBOARD UPDATE
Additionally, in an effort to keep our school communities informed, the district will provide daily dashboard updates during the school week including:
- Number of students who are positive by school. This includes students who:
- Tested positive (PCR/Antigen) for COVID-19
- Symptomatic with known close contact
- Quarantined by JCDHE
- Total illness rate of students by school as reported via attendance data
Dashboard updates will be posted by noon on the following day. View the Second Semester COVID-19 Dashboard on the district’s website.
Thank you for your continued partnership to keep students and staff healthy by having your child stay home if they are sick (i.e. fever, chills, cough, etc.).
A brief summary of the board meeting as well as a link to the recorded meeting is available on the website
Blue Valley Schools