INCOMING 7TH GRADE VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
All incoming 7th grade students must submit an updated immunization record before the first day of school. The immunization record must include the student’s name, immunizations received with the full date they were received and the signature and/or letterhead of the medical provider or official immunization record. Immunizations that are required for 7th-grade school entry are defined by K.A.R. 28-1-20 as follows:
- A single dose of Tdap required at grades 7-12 if no previous history of Tdap vaccination regardless of interval since the last Td vaccine
- Meningococcal (Serogroup A,C,W,Y): Two doses required. Doses should be given at entry to 7th grade (11-12 years) and 11th grade (16-18 years). For children 16-18 years, only one dose is required. (Effective August 2, 2019)
- Hepatitis A (Hep A): Two doses required. Doses should be given at 12 months with a minimum interval of 6 months between the 1st and 2nd dose. (Effective 2022-23 school year)
Kansas law requires all students entering school for the first time in Kansas to be completely immunized for communicable diseases. Kansas law provides the following alternatives to immunization:
- an annual written statement (Form B) signed by a licensed physician indicating the physical condition of the child to be such that the tests or inoculations would seriously endanger the life or health of the child; or
- a written statement signed by one parent or guardian indicating that the child is an adherent to a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations.
Immunization records can be submitted with attention Piper Bowersox via mail (12500 Switzer, Overland Park, KS 66213), scan ([email protected]) or fax (913-239-5548).