Students must live inside Blue Valley Schools boundaries to attend a Blue Valley School. If you are within the district boundaries, but not in the BVHS attendance area, please complete the online Student Transfer Request form. All transfers must be approved before we can register and enroll your student.



    Complete the forms in the New Student Packet and obtain the following documents:

    • Proof of residency (copy of housing contract, rental agreement, recent utility bill)

    • Copy of Birth Certificate

    • Copy of Immunization Record

    • Unofficial copy of transcript (or current grade card if incoming 9th grader)

    • Withdrawal form with current grades if transferring after school begins

    If you will be entering BVHS at the beginning of next school year, complete the enrollment packet for the grade you will be in next year: 9th grade10th grade11th grade or 12th grade.



    Return all paperwork to the BVHS Counseling Department via one of the following methods:

    • Fax it to (913) 239-4895

    • Scan and email to Janine de La Pna (in June or July, email Mary Urso)

    • Drop it by the counseling department in the office

    • Mail it to Blue Valley High School c/o Counseling Department, 6001 W 159th St, Overland Park, KS 66085



    Once the paperwork has been verified for completion, the counseling department will contact you to schedule an appointment to meet with the counselor and determine your student's schedule.


  • Consult the Course Description Guide for details about each course.

    English Language Arts - 4 credits

    ELA I or Honors ELA I - 1 credit
    ELA II or Honors ELA II - 1 credit
    ELA III or AP Language and Composition - 1 credit
    ELA​ IV or AP Literature and Composition or Contemporary​ Communications - 1 credit

    Social Studies - 3 credits

    History of the Western World or AP European History - 1 credit
    US History Since 1856 or AP US History - 1 credit
    American Government or AP American Government - 1/2 credit
    Social Studies elective - 1/2 credit

    Science - 3 credits

    Biological Sciences - 1 credit
    Physical Sciences - 1 credit
    Additional Science - 1 credit

    Mathematics - 3 credits

    Electives - 7 1/2 credits

    Computer Technology - 1 credit
    Fine Arts - 1 credit
    Health and Wellness - 1/2 credit
    Physical Education - 1 credit


  • Career and Technical Education (CTE)
    business, family and consumer science and industrial technology

    Performing Arts
    drama, choir, band, orchestra, speech, debate, forensics, journalism, yearbook and broadcast technology

    Physical Education
    general education, lifetime fitness, aquatics and weights and conditioning

    Visual Arts
    2-dimensional and 3-dimensional courses

    World Language
    French, German, Latin and Spanish​

    cheerleading, drill team, teacher/office/counselor's aide, peer tutoring, CDOP (Career Development Opportunity Program), learning center, gifted​, center-based programs, CAPS and virtual

    Some courses may be available through the Johnson County Technical Education Partnership


  • CAPS: Center for Advanced Professional Studies
    Juniors and seniors can join other Blue Valley students to explore interests​ in profession-based learning. Classes are offered in: bioscience, business, technology and media, engineering and human services. Learn more on the CAPS website.

    Special Services

    Special Education - Students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) may enroll in Study Skills or Gifted Education, as applicable. IEP students may also be eligible for Career Development Opportunities Program (CDOP) classes. Consult the counselor, case manager or transition specialist for more details.

    Summer Program

    Learn more on the Summer Program website.

    Virtual Education

    Students may enroll in virtual courses during the school day as one of their seven courses or as an after school option (fee involved). Learn more on the Virtual Education website.