INCLEMENT WEATHER UPDATE
In Kansas, it is likely over the next several months we’ll see forecasts that call for inclement weather. When extreme weather conditions exist, the district may call an inclement weather day with no school for all students.
Families will receive an email and text message when the school day is modified due to inclement weather. When possible, the announcement will be made the day before so families can plan.
HOW WE MAKE OUR DECISION
The superintendent makes the final decision to keep schools open or close school during inclement weather before 6 a.m. based on these factors:
- Weather service information - The district consults with a private weather service for information on weather conditions and forecasts, specific to the Blue Valley area.
- Bus company information - District Office administration talks to the bus company to learn more about road conditions and access to neighborhoods and streets that are more challenging during times of inclement weather.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether snow/ice is continuing.
- Building conditions - Schools are checked to make sure electricity and heat are working properly.
- Parking lot and sidewalk conditions - Administrators talk to maintenance and custodial staff who are responsible for clearing and treating school parking lots and sidewalks.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- Discussion with city and county officials about snow removal status for city and county roads.
- Discussion with other Johnson County school districts.
The district asks parents to do all they can to dress students appropriately for the conditions, especially students who walk to school or ride the bus. While the process we use is comprehensive, we understand that you may not agree with the district's decision to close school or keep school open. Please know if weather conditions are severe, you have the option of keeping your child at home. In this case, please contact your school's office and your child's absence will be recorded as an excused absence.
- Blue Valley website - An announcement will be posted on the homepage.
- Social media - Follow @bvschools on Twitter or like Blue Valley Schools on Facebook.
- Email - Students, staff and families will receive an email with weather-related school closing information.
- Text - Texts will be sent to all families with a mobile number on file. If you do not receive a text, make sure you have a mobile number entered in ParentVUE or call the front office of your child's school.
- Media outlets - Listen to any of these local media outlets: WDAF-TV (Ch. 4), KCTV (Ch. 5), KMBC-TV (Ch. 9) and KSHB-TV (Ch. 41).
- Weather line - Call Blue Valley's weather line for weather-related school closing information at (913) 239-4600.
If severe weather continues and classes are canceled the following day, patrons will be notified in the same manner as the day before. Otherwise, patrons should assume classes will be in session.
Snow days are built into the district calendar and the district will make an official announcement about the last day of school after spring break.