What determines whether a special education student is entitled to free transportation?
Free transportation for special education students will be provided when a student's physical, emotional or behavioral condition warrants it, or when it is necessary to transport a student to a school other than his or her home attendance center.
Common situations include:
- When a physical challenge requires a special lift bus.
- When a student is assigned to a program at a school that is not in his or her home school attendance area.
- When special education students need transportation to work sites.
- For preschool students with special education IEPs.
- When a gifted education student needs to be transported to another school for higher level class offerings.
- For students who are approved by the IEP Team for the Extended School Year Program.