Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Sunday, January 17, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
I hope that you enjoy your three day weekend. Remember that school is not in session on Monday, January 20th as we observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
In commemoration of Cedar Hills' 10 year celebration we are very excited to announce that we are going to produce our first CHE Cookbook, and we NEED YOUR HELP! The cookbook will be comprised of recipes from YOU! We are asking that you share your favorite recipes to make this everyone's favorite cookbook. All you need to do is click the link below, choose "ADD RECIPES", and fill in the information needed. The procedure is EASY and we look forward to each of you sharing one or more recipes with us! This link will be open for 3 WEEKS ONLY , the deadline to submit your recipes is February 7th. We welcome recipes from grandparents, aunts, neighbors, the more the merrier! http://www.typensave.com/app/#
Keep your eyes open for the order form to purchase the cookbook, it will be in backpacks soon!
Save the date!! Jump Rope for Heart is just a couple weeks away! Mark your calendars for February 3-7. This awesome event will take place during PE class. Your child will be doing a variety of jump rope activities to show how much they care about having healthy hearts. Our school also raises money for the American Heart Association. Soon you will receive a donation packet (ignore the permission form). Please take some time to read through the steps for donating. Donations are optional and can be brought back to school with your child. There is also an option to donate ONLINE and send emails out to family and friends to raise money. It's super easy and convenient! Just go to following link: www.heart.org/jump . You can also find more information at www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller . Students can earn prizes AND super fun ducks for donations (plus a bonus duck for donating online). Help Cedar Hills save lives and promote healthy hearts and active lifestyles!
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Graders have the opportunity to participate in an after-school Mathletics contest on Monday, February 3rd from 4-5 pm at Sunset Ridge Elementary with students from CHE and Sunset Ridge. Mathletics is a problem solving competition during which students work in teams of 3 to solve challenging math problems. Students put together their own teams of three for this competition. If your child would like to participate in Mathletics, interest forms can be found on the CHE website. Interest forms are due by Friday, January 24th.
We are having our Math Topic 8 Test on Tuesday, January 21st. The "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and the "Quick Check" packet were sent home today to help prepare for the assessment. Your child may do any of the activities on the enVision website to help them study/practice as well. There is a practice test in the text book that may be completed to practice, and this can be accessed through the enVision website as well.
We still need a few volunteers for the Wilderness Science Center on January 30th. If you haven't been since the program was redesigned, it is a great experience. Please email me if you would like to come with us. We will be leaving at 8:40am and returning at 2:20pm.
Parent Teacher conferences are right around the corner. We will once again use the electronic sign up method starting Saturday, January 18th (the sign up window closes on Sunday, Feb. 2). Please visit our classroom web page to complete the electronic sign-up procedure. It is simple and will only take a minute. I will be conferencing on February 10, 11, 12, & 13.
The electronic Parent-Teacher Conference sign up process is quick and easy - simply follow these steps: 1) Go to our classroom web site on the Cedar Hills' webpage 2) Click Parent-Teacher Conferences (on the left side navigation bar) 3) Click Register for this event button and follow the directions Please note: a visitor log-in is required - you can create one.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
- distinguish between fact and opinion using details from the text.
- make connections while reading.
- use knowledge of comparatives and superlatives to understand the meaning of a word or phrases.
- demonstrate understanding of analogies.
- correctly use and understand irregular verbs in reading and writing.
- correctly use and understand comparatives and superlatives, subject & object pronouns, contractions, and possessive pronouns in reading and writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use science fiction features while writing.
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 9 - Number Sense: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use basic facts and patterns of zeros to solve division problems with 3 digit dividends and 1 digit divisors (9-1)
use compatible numbers and rounding to estimate quotients (9-2)
estimate quotients of multi-digit division problems using multiplication facts and place value concepts (9-3)
d ivide whole numbers by 1 digit divisors resulting in quotients with remainders(9-4)
u se words and models to represent multiplication and division problems (9-5)
d raw pictures and write related number sentences to solve problems (9-6)
Science: Metric Measurement
- identify and use metric measurement tools and vocabulary.
- make metric unit conversions.
- make reasonable estimations of metric measurement.
Week 16 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #18
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - U4W2 Fact & Opinion & Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Unit 4 Week 4
- Science: States of Matter
- Saturday, Jan. 18 - February Conference Sign Up Times Go Live @ 12:00am
- Monday, Jan. 20 - No School - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Tuesday, Jan. 21 - Math Topic 8 Test
- Saturday, Jan. 25 - PTO Auction
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 - Wilderness Science Center Learning Excursion 9am-2:20pm (Claiborne & Monsees)
- Thursday, Jan. 30 - Wilderness Science Center Learning Excursion 9am-2:20pm (Auvigne & Anduss)
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!