Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, March 7, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Don't forget the school carnival this weekend, CHE Meets the Wild West, on March 8 from 4:00pm-7:00pm.
The first grade musical is on Tuesday at 2:30. The Spelling Bee participants will be recognized.
We have our spring Kansas Assessment dates! Mark these on your calendar.
- Monday 3/31 @ 2:00pm - Reading #1
- Wednesday 4/2 @ 12:20pm - Reading #2
- Tuesday 4/8 @ 12:20pm - Math #1
- Wednesday 4/9 @ 12:20pm - Math #2
- Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm - Science #1
Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm - Science #2
A note from District Office...
The Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) asked Blue Valley as well as several other school districts to participate in a research study this spring involving student participation. Students in grades 3-8 and 11 will take a short reading comprehension test. The test will contain short paragraphs followed by multiple-choice questions. The test will be administered after the Kansas Reading Test (within 2 weeks), and will take about 1 hour to complete. Students' responses will be shared with KSDE's partner in this study, MetaMetrics, so that a link can be established between The Lexile Framework for Reading and the Kansas Reading Test. Student results will not be used for anything other than establishing the link and student data will not be shared or used for any other purpose.
The Lexile framework is a valuable tool for matching readers with books and monitoring growth in reading. Having a reliable lexile on Kansas State Assessments will help Blue Valley teachers and parents see true reading growth levels for students.
We are having our Math Topic 10 Test on Tuesday, March 11th. The "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and the "Quick Check" packet will be sent home on Monday to help prepare for the assessment. Your child may do any of the activities on the enVision website to help them study/practice as well. There is a practice test in the text book that may be completed to practice, and this can be accessed through the enVision website as well.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 5: America's Heartland
- determine the main idea and supporting key details of a text. U5W1-2
- visualize while reading. U5W1
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell where to understand the meaning of a word or phrases. U5W1&3
- correctly use and understand object pronouns and possessive pronouns in reading and writing. U5W1
- identify and use ellipses and em dashes in writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 10 - Developing Fluency: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use repeated subtraction to model division. (10-1)
record division as repeated subtraction (10-2)
use place value to understand the algorithm of long division. (10-3)
use the standard algorithm to divide a two-digit number by a one-digit number. (10-4)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers. (10-5)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers and properly decide where to begin dividing. (10-6)
estimate and find quotients for 4-digit dividends and 1-digit divisors. (10-7)
identify the hidden question in a multi-step problem and use the answer to solve the original problem. (10-8)
**Topic 10 Test on Tuesday, March 11th.
- understand that different objects make different sounds.
- explain the difference between high and low pitches.
- explain that the source of sound is vibrations.
Spring Break Homework
3/10 - 3/24
- No CCSS Skills Review
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Spring Break Reflection - Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- No Spelling
- Complete Explorer Flip Book - Due March 28th
- Science: Sound
- Saturday, March 8 - CHE Carnival
- Wednesday, March 12 - Winter Kickball League
- Thursday, March 13 - Sunday, March 23 - SPRING BREAK
- Monday, March 24 - School Resumes
- Reading Kansas Assessment #1 - Monday 3/31 @ 2:00pm
- Reading Kansas Assessment #2 - Wednesday 4/2 @ 12:20pm
- Math Kansas Assessment #1 - Tuesday 4/8 @ 12:20pm
- Math Kansas Assessment #2 - Wednesday 4/9 @ 12:20pm
- Science Kansas Assessment #1 - Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm
- Science Kansas Assessment #2 - Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 4: Computers
Tuesday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Wednesday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Thursday - No School - Spring Break
Friday - No School - Spring Break
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!