Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, November 15, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Two Bits for Turkeys
It is time again to show the generosity and kindness of the CHE community by helping families in need. We will be collecting monetary donations Nov. 13 - 22 in the front hall every morning. More details can be found in the CHE newsletter.
We will have our Math Topic 5 Test on Tuesday, November 19th. Today, your child will be bringing home the "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and the "Quick Check" packet to help prepare for the assessment. He/she may do any of the activities on the enVision website to help them study/practice as well. There is a practice test in the text book that may be completed to practice, and this can be accessed through the enVision website as well.
Thank you to the PTO Take Stock in Cedar Hills program for bringing visiting author, Judy Young to CHE.
Check the homework section below to see next week's homework.
Have a wonderful weekend!
The 4th grade curriculum plan is available each month on the CHE website under the "Monthly Curriculum Plans" tab.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: A Nation's Beginnings
- make generalizations from details in the text.
- make visualizations based on details from the text.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrases.
- use knowledge of inflected endings -s, -es to read and understand words.
- correctly use and understand action and linking verbs in reading and writing.
- correctly use and understand main and helping verbs in reading and writing.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- write using the sequence-of-events test structure.
- visualize to help draft a personal narrative.
- use idioms effectively uin a personal narrative.
Math: Topic 5 - Number Sense: Multiplying by 1-Digit Numbers
- use arrays to multiply by 10 and 100. (5-1)
- use basic multiplication facts and number patterns to multiply by multiples of 10 and 100. (5-2)
- break apart numbers and use arrays to multiply 2-digit by 1-digit numbers. (5-3)
- use compensation to multiply numbers mentally. (5-4)
- use rounding to estimate solutions to multiplication problems. (5-5)
- check for reasonableness by making sure the calculation answers the question asked and by using estimation to make sure the calculation was performed correctly. (5-6)
Math: Topic 6 - Developing Fluency: Multiplying by 1-Digit Numbers
- record multiplication using an explanded algorithm. (5-1)
- multiply 2-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers using paper-and-pencil methods. (5-2)
- multiply 2-digit number by 1-digit numbers using the standard algotithm and extimate to check for reasonableness. (5-3)
- use the standard algorithm to multiply 3- and 4-digit numbesr by 1-digit numbers. (5-4)
- multiply 2-, 3-, and 4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers using the standard algorithm and estimate to check for reasonableness. (5-5)
- identify what information in a problem is missing or is not needed. (5-6)
Science: Science and Technology
- ask investigative questions about the world.
- invent products to solve problems.
- work with others to solve problems.
- identify science and technology as a career for all people.
- develop an understanding that scientists use tools in their profession.
Week 12 Homework
This week's homework will come home on Monday, Nov. 18th and is due on Monday, Nov. 25th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 5-5 & 5-6.
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - LEAD21 Home Connection: Generalize & Edmodo
- Unit 3 Week 4
- Math: Multiplicative Comparisons
- Tuesday, Nov. 19 - Early Dismissal @ 2:00
- Wednesday, Nov. 20 - Library 2:00pm
- Thursday, Nov. 21 - CHE Eat-N-Earn night at Chick-fil-A
- Tuesday, Nov. 26 - Friendship Thanksgiving Luncheon
- Wednesday, Nov. 27th-Friday, Nov. 29th - Thanksgiving Break - No School
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 2: Music
Tuesday - Day 3: Art
Wednesday - Day 4: Computers
Thursday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Friday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!