Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Jump Rope for Heart is coming soon! Your child will do lots of jumping activities in PE the week of February 3 to show they care about having healthy hearts. Donations packets have been sent home. If you choose to donate, cash or check can be sent back to school in the donation packet. Or, you can read the steps for how to donate ONLINE. It's very simple to set up a donation page and send emails out to friends and family. Check out the following links for more information: www.heart.org/jump and www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller . All donations go to the American Heart Association.
We are getting excited for the learning excursion to Wilderness Science Center on January 30th. We will be leaving at 8:40am and returning at 2:20pm. Don't forget to send a sack lunch for your child. If you would like your child to get a lunch from the cafeteria, complete the attached form and send it back on Monday.
Parent Teacher conferences are right around the corner. We will once again use the electronic sign up method starting Saturday, January 18th (the sign up window closes on Sunday, Feb. 2). Please visit our classroom web page to complete the electronic sign-up procedure. It is simple and will only take a minute. I will be conferencing on February 10, 11, 12, & 13.
The electronic Parent-Teacher Conference sign up process is quick and easy - simply follow these steps: 1) Go to our classroom web site on the Cedar Hills' webpage 2) Click Parent-Teacher Conferences (on the left side navigation bar) 3) Click Register for this event button and follow the directions Please note: a visitor log-in is required - you can create one.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
In commemoration of Cedar Hills' 10 year celebration we are very excited to announce that we are going to produce our first CHE Cookbook, and we NEED YOUR HELP! The cookbook will be comprised of recipes from YOU! We are asking that you share your favorite recipes to make this everyone's favorite cookbook. All you need to do is click the link below, choose "ADD RECIPES", and fill in the information needed. The procedure is EASY and we look forward to each of you sharing one or more recipes with us! This link will be open for 3 WEEKS ONLY , the deadline to submit your recipes is February 7th. We welcome recipes from grandparents, aunts, neighbors, the more the merrier! http://www.typensave.com/app/#
Keep your eyes open for the order form to purchase the cookbook, it will be in backpacks soon!
Save the date!! Jump Rope for Heart is just a couple weeks away! Mark your calendars for February 3-7. This awesome event will take place during PE class. Your child will be doing a variety of jump rope activities to show how much they care about having healthy hearts. Our school also raises money for the American Heart Association. Soon you will receive a donation packet (ignore the permission form). Please take some time to read through the steps for donating. Donations are optional and can be brought back to school with your child. There is also an option to donate ONLINE and send emails out to family and friends to raise money. It's super easy and convenient! Just go to following link: www.heart.org/jump . You can also find more information at www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller . Students can earn prizes AND super fun ducks for donations (plus a bonus duck for donating online). Help Cedar Hills save lives and promote healthy hearts and active lifestyles!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
- identify text structure of a specific sentence, paragraph, or entire text.
- ask and answer questions while reading.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to understand the meaning of a word or phrases.
- demonstrate understanding of word relationships & meanings by classifying words.
- correctly use and understand irregular verbs in reading and writing.
- correctly use and understand comparatives and superlatives, subject & object pronouns, contractions, and possessive pronouns in reading and writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use science fiction features while writing.
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 9 - Number Sense: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use basic facts and patterns of zeros to solve division problems with 3 digit dividends and 1 digit divisors (9-1)
use compatible numbers and rounding to estimate quotients (9-2)
estimate quotients of multi-digit division problems using multiplication facts and place value concepts (9-3)
d ivide whole numbers by 1 digit divisors resulting in quotients with remainders(9-4)
u se words and models to represent multiplication and division problems (9-5)
d raw pictures and write related number sentences to solve problems (9-6)
Science: Landforms, Weather, and the Water Cycle
- describe changes in the earth and water.
- observe and describe erosion.
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
Week 19 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #19
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - U4W3 Ask & Answer Questions & Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Unit 5 Week 5
- Math: Multiplication & Division Models
- Saturday, Jan. 25 - PTO Auction
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 - Freddy's Frozen Custard Night
- Wednesday, Jan. 29 - Wilderness Science Center Learning Excursion 9am-2:20pm (Claiborne & Monsees)
- Thursday, Jan. 30 - Wilderness Science Center Learning Excursion 9am-2:20pm (Auvigne & Anduss)
- Monday, February 3 - Friday, February 7 - Jump Rope for Heart Week
- Monday, February 3 - Mathletics at SRE
- Tuesday, February 4 - Early Dismissal
- Wednesday, February 5 - Orchestra Concert
- Monday, February 10 - Thursday, February 13 - Parent/Teacher Conf.
- Wednesday, February 13 - Valentine's Day Parties 2:30-3:15
- Monday, February 17 - No School - Presidents Day
- Wednesday, February 19 - Lanesfield Learning Excursion
- Tuesday, February 25 - Early Dismissal
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!