Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, May 10, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Thank you so much for all of your generosity during Teacher Appreciation Week. I feel so blessed to be a part of this great community.
The registration period for the CHE Talent Show has been extended to Monday, May 13th. If your child is interested in participating please fill out the form located under Forms and Documents on the CHE webpage.
The 5th Grade is sponsoring a Canned Food Drive for Harvesters for the week of May 13th. If you would like to be involved in this community service project you can bring in canned food items to school and place them in the Harvesters bins located in the front hallway.
On Thursday, May 16th we will be switching our lunch time with 2nd grade due to a field trip that would interfere with their normal lunch time. We will have lunch at 11:30 on that day.
Due to an unforeseen circumstance, we had to move our Growth and Development date. As soon as the new date is determined, we will forward the new time to you. Nurse Kristi is out today and Monday so it will be Tuesday before we can secure a date that is good for all. Thanks for your flexibility.
We want to express our appreciation for your prompt return of the 2013-2014 enrollment packets as these help Mr. Marsh with staff planning for next year. If you are still working on these, please return them by May 30th. If you have any questions, please contact the office.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
- analyze the structure of texts, including how parts of the text relate to each other and the whole.
- demonstrate understanding of analogies in word meanings.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
- use knowledge of comparative and superlative adjectives when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- demostrate proper use of contractions, subject pronouns, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns when writing and speaking.
- solve a problem using the basic order of operations with whole numbers.
- use different symbols and representations for division problems.
- divide through a 2-digit or 3-digit by 1-digit with or without a remainder.
- divide through a 2-digit or 3-digit by 2-digit with or without a remainder.
- solve real world problems using division.
Social Studies: Ch.8 Slavery
- describe three key dilemmas faced by Africans during enslavement: the European slave trade in West Africa, the Middle Passage, and arrival in North America.
- identify various ways in which West Africans responded to the dilemmas they faced.
- empathize with West Africans who had to respond to such dilemmas.
This week's homework is due on Friday, May 17th.
*This will be our last week of homework this year!
- Math Practice #30
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Want Fries With That?
- Read 20 minutes per night
- U8W1 Spelling Lists
- No study island this week. :)
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!