Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, April 19, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Registration packets were sent home, today. Please fill these out and return them no later than May 30th.
The recorder letter that Mrs. Bowden sent home this week is attached to the newsletter.
We have an early dismissal Tuesday, April 23 at 2:00pm.
April 24 is Picture Day.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!
Three of our 4th grade friends will be walking for the March of Dimes on April 28th at 10am starting at the Sprint Center. Please email Taff Hodges if you are interested. [email protected] .
A Music Note from Mrs. Bowden...This is a reminder that your child's performance is approaching on April 30th, at 2:45 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. This performance is what we have been working toward this entire school year with reading music on the staff and performing on instruments. With spring time and sports schedules, please remember that students need to be in attendance at this performance. It should be about 30 minutes in length.
A Note from Mrs. Bowden,
Hello 4th Grade Students and Parents! Our performances at The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, and at Cedar Hills are approaching. There has been an overwhelming amount of students wanting to practice outside of school, so I have added audio files to my website for you to practice at home. Follow these steps to find the practice page; don't forget to add it to your favorites once you are there!
1. Go to Cedar Hills Elementary web site
2. Click on, Classrooms, on the left hand side.
3. Click on, Performing Arts.
4. Click on, Carey Bowden - General Music.
5. Click on, Class Projects.
6. Click on the number, 4.
7. username: bowden
8. ** Add to favorites**
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
Reading: "Galileo's Journal" (p.224-252)
- analyze the structure of texts, including how parts of the text relate to each other and the whole.
- demonstrate understanding of word relationships in word meanings by classifying words.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- use quotations correctly when writing dialogue.
- use knowledge of comparative and superlative adjectives when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- demostrate proper use of contractions, subject pronouns, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns when writing and speaking.
Math: Fractions & Decimals
- classify numbers as whole numbers, mixed numbers, fractions, or decimals.
- read and write fractions and decimals to the hundredths.
- add and subtract fractions with like denominators.
- compare and order fractions and decimals.
- solve real-world problems that include fractions and decimals.
- estimate fractions in real-world problems.
- figure correct change through $20.00.
- understand the nutritional value of food and their contribution to health.
- understand about healthy food choices and how to read food labels.
Science: Life Cycles & Habitats
- compare basic needs of different organisms in their environment.
- compare and contrast lifecycles.
- observe different organisms and their functions.
This week's homework is due on Friday, April 26th.
- Math Practice #27
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Under the Big Top
- Read 20 minutes per night
- U7W2 Spelling Lists
- Science - Laboratory Tools & Safety
- Math - Measuring Objects
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!