Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, October 12, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Thank you to everyone who has signed up for conferences. If you haven't had a chance to yet, the registration closes on Monday. The instructions in below in the "Worth Repeating" section.
Early Dismissal and Picture Retake Day are Tuesday, October 16th.
Twisters PTO Eat N Earn Night is also Tuesday, October 16th.
Cedar Hills will be participating in a United Way campaign during the week of Oct. 15-19. We have a special theme planned for the week as we join together to support this worthwhile cause. We are asking that if students participate, they make a donation, but the donation is just a suggestion, not a requirement.
Monday: Warm Up Day: Batter Up for United Way this Week
Tuesday: Go for a single: donate spare nickels
Wednesday: Drive in a Double: donate spare dimes
Thursday: Go for a Triple: donate spare quarters
Friday: Home Run: Gear up; wear your baseball attire and donate a dollar
Blue Valley Special Olympics Bowl-a-Thon is coming up. As you know, BVSD supports the BV Special Olympics and many of the athletes are students in our schools.
24th Annual Bowl-a-Thon and Silent Auction
Benefiting the Blue Valley Blue Streaks Special Olympics Team
Saturday, November 3rd at AMF College Lanes at 3:30-5:30
Bowl, win prizes and bid on great deals in the silent auction. Proceeds help buy team uniforms, equipment, and awards. Open to the entire community with a minimum of $25 in pledges per bowler.
If parents and children are interested in joining Emma's team, they can contact her mom, Enid, for additional information on registration and fundraising. (816-694-9078 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
Have a wonderful weekend!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 1: Life Stories
- analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
- determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade level content.
- recognize and define common Greek and Latin affixes and roots (units of meaning).
- read grade-level text fluently and show comprehension through voice, timing, and expression.
- use suspense in writing a mystery.
- choose an idea about which to write with an occasional use of a teacher prompt.
- develop one clear main idea that is supported with relevant details.
- use pre-writing strategies independently to organize ideas on a topic or prompt and complete a draft.
Math: Geometric Investigations
- calculate the perimeter and area of polygons.
- estimate and solve real-world problems involving perimeter and area
- recognize points, lines (intersecting, parallel, and perpendicular), line segments, and rays.
- identify acute, right, and obtuse angles.
Science: Weather and the Water Cycle
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
This Week's Homework is due on Thursday, October 11th.
- Weekly Math Skills Practice #8
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- The Smuggler
- Read 20 minutes per night
- Unit 2 Week 4 Spelling List
- Math - Central Tendency
- Science - Weather
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Tuesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Wednesday -Day 1: PE/Music
Thursday - Day 2: Computers
Friday - Day 3: Art
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!