Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, October 25, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Thank you to all of the parents who attended parent/teacher conferences. I do appreciate the time that you committed to coming in and talking about all the successes of your student in our classroom.
There will now be an additional day for students to attend the PTO funded Cheetah Study Den. It will now be held on Mondays and Thursdays in the library until 4:30. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Early Dismissal is Tuesday, October 30th.
Our next learning excursion will be to the Wilderness Science Center on November 8th. I will need six volunteers to go with us for that day. We will be gone from 9:00-2:30. The program has a new director this year and the activities for the day look like lots of fun. Please consider joining us for this trip.
As you are planning your child's Halloween costume, keep in mind that pretend weapons are not allowed. Your child will have plenty of time to change into their costume before the parade begins at 2:00. Please send their costume to school in a bag.
Blue Valley Special Olympics Bowl-a-Thon is coming up. As you know, BVSD supports the BV Special Olympics and many of the athletes are students in our schools.
24th Annual Bowl-a-Thon and Silent Auction
Benefiting the Blue Valley Blue Streaks Special Olympics Team
Saturday, November 3rd at AMF College Lanes at 3:30-5:30
Bowl, win prizes and bid on great deals in the silent auction. Proceeds help buy team uniforms, equipment, and awards. Open to the entire community with a minimum of $25 in pledges per bowler.
If parents and children are interested in joining Emma's team, they can contact her mom, Enid, for additional information on registration and fundraising. (816-694-9078 or email@example.com )
Have a wonderful weekend!
We are starting a walk/run club to promote fitness and community in our school. This started on Wednesday, October 3rd, from 3:50-4:45. Individual students and/or families are invited to participate each Wednesday. We will meet outside on the kickball field and use the fitness track to walk/run with friends and family. There are permission slips available in the office or you can print one from our website under forms and documents. Please return the form to Coach Miller.
Study Den, the after school study club began on Thursday, September 20th for grades 1-5. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island. We have now added an additional day, Mondays!
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
LEAD 21: Mr. Marsh is going to be adding a new feature in the parent E-Update regarding LEAD 21. For the next several months, a special highlight of the program will be provided to parents. This week the feature is the LEAD 21 web page. Make sure to check it out!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 2: A Green Future
- refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- demonstrate understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms) and to words with similar but not identical meanings (synonyms).
- use suspense in writing a mystery.
- identify and use noun suffixes in writing.
Math: Geometric Investigations
- calculate the perimeter and area of polygons.
- estimate and solve real-world problems involving perimeter and area
- recognize points, lines (intersecting, parallel, and perpendicular), line segments, and rays.
- identify acute, right, and obtuse angles.
Science: Natural Resources
- identify examples and effects of pollution.
- explain the importance of reusing, reducing, and recycling.
- identify ways to use energy supplies wisely.
This Week's Homework is due on Friday, November 2nd.
- Math Practice #9
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- William Tell
- Read 20 minutes per night
- Mystery Words
- Reading - Author's Purpose
- Math - Coordinate System
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 2: Computers
Tuesday - Day 3: Art
Wednesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Thursday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Friday -Day 1: PE/Music
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!