Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, November 16, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Has your child talked to you about how much they like cup-stacking? Cup-stacking is a great brain-based activity that helps with fine motor skills and promotes ambidexterity. To purchase cups, go to www.speedstacks.com and click "shop" and "group order store." Follow the steps and use a credit card to purchase (no shipping costs!). 10% of the money spent in the group order will go to Coach Miller to purchase more cup-stacking equipment for P.E. They make great holiday gifts! All items will be sent to Coach Miller for you to pick up before the holiday break. The group order begins on Monday, Nov. 12, and closes on November 30. You can also find out more information on Coach Miller's website at www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller .
Two Bits for Turkeys
It is time again to show the generosity and Kindness of the CHE community by helping families in need. We will be collecting donations Nov. 12 - 19 in the front hall every morning. More details can be found in the CHE newsletter.
The next Early Dismissal is on November 27th.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Break! I hope that you enjoy your time with friends and family!
We are starting a walk/run club to promote fitness and community in our school. This started on Wednesday, October 3rd, from 3:50-4:45. Individual students and/or families are invited to participate each Wednesday. We will meet outside on the kickball field and use the fitness track to walk/run with friends and family. There are permission slips available in the office or you can print one from our website under forms and documents. Please return the form to Coach Miller.
Study Den, the after school study club began on Thursday, September 20th for grades 1-5. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island. We have now added an additional day, Mondays!
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
LEAD 21: Mr. Marsh is going to be adding a new feature in the parent E-Update regarding LEAD 21. For the next several months, a special highlight of the program will be provided to parents. This week the feature is the LEAD 21 web page. Make sure to check it out!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 2: A Green Future
- refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- demonstrate understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms) and to words with similar but not identical meanings (synonyms).
- identify and use noun suffixes in writing.
- recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
- use combined knowledge of all letter-sound correspondences, syllabication patterns, and morphology (e.g., roots and affixes).
Math: Numbers and Number Operations
- identify and write four number sentences for a fact family.
- identify and use properties of multiplication and addition.
- identify the place value of a digit and name the value of a digit from the hundredths place through the hundred thousands place.
- identify and write numbers using numerals, words, models, and expanding notation.
- solve one- and two-step real-world problems.
Social Studies: Native Americans, Their Land, and Their Cultural Regions
- list seven Native American cultural regions.
- identify environmental factors that promoted cultural diversity among Native Americans.
- describe examples of cultural adaptations made by Native Americans.
- research and describe a Native American Tribe.
This Week's Homework is due on Monday, November 26th.
- NO READING HOMEWORK SHEET THIS WEEK :)
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- NO READING HOMEWORK SHEET THIS WEEK :)
- Read 20 minutes per night
- NO SPELLING LIST THIS WEEK
- Reading - Cause and Effect
- Math - Number Patterns
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 2: Computers
Tuesday - Day 3: Art
Wednesday - NO SCHOOL
Thursday - NO SCHOOL
Friday - NO SCHOOL
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!