Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, October 11, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
We will go on our first Learning Excursion to the Wilderness Science Center on October 29th. If you haven't been since the program was redesigned, it is a great experience. We need 5 parent helpers to join us, please e-mail me if you would like to attend! We will be leaving at 8:40am and returning at 2:20pm.
Cedar Hills will be participating in a United Way campaign during the week of Oct. 14-18. We have a special theme planned for the week as we join together to support this worthwhile cause. We are asking that if students participate, they make a donation, but the donation is just a suggestion, not a requirement.
Monday: Warm Up Day: Batter Up for United Way this Week
Tuesday: Go for a Single: donate spare nickels
Wednesday: Drive in a Double: donate spare dimes
Thursday: Go for a Triple: donate spare quarters
Friday: Home Run: Gear Up; wear your baseball attire and donate a dollar
Tuesday is an Early Dismissal day. We dismiss at 2:00pm.
Picture retakes will be on October 22nd.
There will be no school for students on October 24th and 25th.
We will have our Math Topic on Thursday, October 17th. Next Monday, your child will bring home the "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and the "Quick Check" packet to help them prepare for the assessment. I will "assign" a practice test and lesson activities on the enVision website on Monday that your child can do for extra practice.
On Monday, your child will bring home the Week 7 Homework Packet that includes math practice. The reading portion will be done entirely online again this week. The students will go into our Weekly Homework assignment in Edmodo, open the reading homework link, and respond to the questions listed by clicking "turn in." They will also have the U2W4 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Oct. 21.
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Our strings days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please help your child remember to bring his/her instrument on those days.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: A Green Future
- make predictions.
- recall and retell what we read by referring to details and examples from the text.
- use a dictionary to find pronunciations and meanings of key words and phrases.
- use knowledge of prefixes that mean "not" to read and understand words.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to determine the meaning of words.
- use -s and -es correctly when writing plural nouns.
- correctly write and use possessive nouns.
- use suspense in writing a mystery.
- follow the writing process during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Topic 3 - Place Value
- read and write 3-digit and 4-digit numbers. (3-1)
- explain how digits relate to each other by place value. (3-2)
- compare whole numbers through hundred thousands. (3-3)
- compare and order numbers using place value knowledge. (3-4)
- show how to use place value to round whole numbers. (3-5)
- systematically find and record all possible outcomes for a situation. (3-6)
Social Studies: Earth Materials
- collect and organize data.
- describe and record properties of minerals.
- observe and describe the physical properties of rocks.
This Week's Homework will come home on Monday, October 14th and is due on Monday, Oct. 21st.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 3-5 & 3-6
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Make Predictions and Edmodo reply
- Unit 2 Week 4 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- We will be introducing Study Island and practicing in class this week. Starting next week, there will be one Science or Math skill to complete for homework.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 4: Computers
Tuesday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Wednesday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Thursday - Day 2: Music
Friday - Day 3: Art
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!