Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, January 31, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Thank you to the PTO Take Stock in CHE program for funding our learning excursion to the Wilderness Science Center this week. The kids really enjoyed themselves and they learned a lot. Also, thank you so much to the six parent volunteers that went with us. We couldn't do it without you!
Tuesday is an early release day. We will dismiss at 2:00pm.
We are on a search for the "Kindest Kansas Citian". Every child in the school has an opportunity to nominate an adult they believe is the Kindest Kansas Citian. The nominations will be sent to STOP Violence, a program through Synergy Services. Information was sent home at the beginning of the week. Look for a letter and a nomination form in your child's backpack. This is a voluntary program but I would love to see everyone honor someone through a nomination. The deadline for turning in entries will be February 11th . Please call Mrs. DeJesus if you have any questions.
A very special thanks to the entire community for your support of the PTO offsite auction fundraiser last Saturday. The success of this event will assist us in becoming an Innovation Technology School. We will have all classrooms with technology rich tools to support and enhance the learning process.
Our Valentine's party is 2/13 from 2:30-3:15. If you child would like to bring Valentine cards to school, they will need ot bring one for each student. Please send a container for your child to keep their Valentine goodies in.
Our next learning excursion is coming up. We will be visiting the Lanesfield one-room school house on Wednesday, February 19th. A permission slip came home today. If you would like to join us, please send me an email. We can take three volunteers.
Don't forget to sign up for the Spring Parent/Teacher conferences. The window will close this Sunday.
The electronic Parent-Teacher Conference sign up process is quick and easy - simply follow these steps: 1) Go to our classroom web site on the Cedar Hills' webpage 2) Click Parent-Teacher Conferences (on the left side navigation bar) 3) Click Register for this event button and follow the directions Please note: a visitor log-in is required - you can create one.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
This is the last week to submit recipes for the CHE Cookbook ! In commemoration of Cedar Hills' 10 year celebration we are very excited to announce that we are going to produce our first CHE Cookbook, and we NEED YOUR HELP! The cookbook will be comprised of recipes from YOU! We are asking that you share your favorite recipes to make this everyone's favorite cookbook. All you need to do is click the link below, choose "ADD RECIPES", and fill in the information needed. The procedure is EASY and we look forward to each of you sharing one or more recipes with us! This link will be open for 3 WEEKS ONLY , the deadline to submit your recipes is February 7th. We welcome recipes from grandparents, aunts, neighbors, the more the merrier! http://www.typensave.com/app/#
Keep your eyes open for the order form to purchase the cookbook, it will be in backpacks soon!
Jump Rope for Heart is coming soon! Your child will do lots of jumping activities in PE the week of February 3 to show they care about having healthy hearts. Donations packets have been sent home. If you choose to donate, cash or check can be sent back to school in the donation packet. Or, you can read the steps for how to donate ONLINE. It's very simple to set up a donation page and send emails out to friends and family. Check out the following links for more information: www.heart.org/jump and www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller . All donations go to the American Heart Association.
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
- identify text structure of a specific sentence, paragraph, or entire text.
- ask and answer questions while reading.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to understand the meaning of a word or phrases.
- demonstrate understanding of word relationships & meanings by classifying words.
- correctly use and understand irregular verbs in reading and writing.
- correctly use and understand comparatives and superlatives, subject & object pronouns, contractions, and possessive pronouns in reading and writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use science fiction features while writing.
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 10 - Developing Fluency: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use repeated subtraction to model division. (10-1)
record division as repeated subraction (10-2)
use place value to understand the algorithm of long division. (10-3)
use the standard algorithm to divide a two-digit number by a one-digit number. (10-4)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers. (10-5)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers and properly decide where to begin dividing. (10-6)
estimate and find quotients for 4-digit dividends and 1-digit divisors. (10-7)
identify the hidden question in a multi-step problem and use the answer to solve teh original problem. (10-8)
Science: Landforms, Weather, and the Water Cycle
- describe changes in the earth and water.
- observe and describe erosion.
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
Week 20 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #20
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Topic 9 Test (Monday, 2/3)
- Online Assignment - U4W4 Identify Text Structure & Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Unit 5 Week 2
- Science: Earth Processes
- Monday, February 3 - Friday, February 7 - Jump Rope for Heart Week
- Monday, February 3 - Mathletics at SRE
- Tuesday, February 4 - Early Dismissal
- Wednesday, February 5 - Orchestra Concert
- Monday, February 10 - Thursday, February 13 - Parent/Teacher Conf.
- Wednesday, February 13 - Valentine's Day Parties 2:30-3:15
- Monday, February 17 - No School - Presidents Day
- Wednesday, February 19 - Lanesfield Learning Excursion
- Tuesday, February 25 - Early Dismissal
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!