Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, September 27, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
On Monday, your child will bring home the Week 4 Homework Packet that includes math practice. The reading portion will be done entirely online again this week. The students will go into our Weekly Homework assignment in Edmodo, open the reading homework link, and respond to the questions listed by clicking "turn in." They will also have the U2W2 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Oct. 4.
Conference sign-ups begin September 28th at midnight. The sign up process is quick and easy. Each of you will be able to sign up for your preferred appointment.
1) Go to my web page (under "Classrooms") on the CHE web page ( www.bluevalleyk12.org/che )
2) Click "Parent Teacher Conferences"
3) Click "Register" for the event button and follow the directions.
Please note: a visitor log-in is required - you can create one during the process (do not use your ParentVue code).
Parent Math Night is Thursday, October 3rd at 6:30pm. You will have the opportunity to learn more about common core math standards, the enVisions math program and ways to support math at home.
Beds for Everybody! CHE is collecting new bed linens for local children in elementary school who are less fortunate. Please join us by bringing any or all of the following items: new twin size sheet set for a boy or girl (any color), new twin size blanket (any color), or new pillow. We hope your donations will affect the children in need intellectually, physically and emotionally, while providing a safe and comfortable place to sleep. Items will be collected Sept. 30 - Oct. 10th. Please contact Jessica Gordon at email@example.com or 913-484-2833 if you have any questions.
Join with friends or neighbors to help provide the needed items to help a child have sweet dreams. Thanks in advance for your generosity.
Remember that we will have our Math Topic 2 Test on Monday, September 30th. Next Wednesday, your child will bring home a "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and a "Quick Check" packet to help them prepare for the assessment. Next week I will "assign" a practice test and lesson activities on the enVision website that your child can do for extra practice.
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Our strings days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please help your child remember to bring his/her instrument on those days.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
We now have the much anticipated information on how we plan to utilize Edmodo for parent communication. I have attached an informational note to this newsletter, the School Messenger e-mail, and in the Newsletters Folder on Edmodo.
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: A Green Future
- draw conclusions.
- show understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms).
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to determine the meaning of words.
- monitor our comprehension by rereading, reading on, adjusting our reading rate, using images, and seeking help.
- identify and write simple and compound sentences, and combine sentences.
- use suspense in writing a mystery.
- follow the writing process during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Topic 3 - Place Value
- read and write 3-digit and 4-digit numbers. (3-1)
- explain how digits relate to each other by place value. (3-2)
- compare whole numbers through hundred thousands. (3-3)
- compare and order numbers using place value knowledge. (3-4)
- show how to use place value to round whole numbers. (3-5)
- systematically find and record all possible outcomes for a situation. (3-6)
- use the strategies Act It Out and Use Reasoning to solve problems.
*Topic 2 Math Assessment, Monday, September 30th
Social Studies: Native Americans
- identify examples of cultural adaptations made by Native American tribes.
- describe some of the natural environments that Native Americans encountered in North America.
- identify selected environmental factors that promoted cultural diversity among Native American groups.
This Week's Homework will come home on Monday, Sept. 30th and is due on Monday, Oct. 7th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 3-1 & 3-2
Topic 2 Math Assessment - Monday, September 30th
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Monitor Comprehension Passage and Edmodo reply
- Unit 2 Week 2 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- No Study Island this week.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Wednesday - Day 2: Music
Thursday - Day 3: Art
Friday - Day 4: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!