Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, February 28, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
We have another early dismissal this Tuesday, March 4th. We will dismiss at 2:00pm.
We have our spring Kansas Assessment dates! Mark these on your calendar.
- Monday 3/31 @ 2:00pm - Reading #1
- Wednesday 4/2 @ 12:20pm - Reading #2
- Tuesday 4/8 @ 12:20pm - Math #1
- Wednesday 4/9 @ 12:20pm - Math #2
- Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm - Science #1
- Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm - Science #2
Mark your calendars for our upcoming school carnival, CHE Meets the Wild West, on March 8 from 4:00pm-7:00pm.
With the school carnival right around the corner, let's get into the spirit with the following special days for the week of March 3.
Monday: Game Day - wear your team uniform, a jersey from your favorite team or a sports t-shirt
Tuesday : Mix-Match Clothing Day
Wednesday : Crazy Sock Day
Thursday: Cowboy and Cowgirl Dress
Friday: CHE colors and spirit wear
The PTO Carnival committee is also requesting contributions of 2-liter bottles of pop and junk food items. These will be used for the Pop Toss and Junk Food Walk. Thanks for your help in making the carnival an exciting and fun event.
We will have our Landforms & Weather Science test on Wednesday, 3/5. A study guide came home with your child today.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 5: America's Heartland
- determine the main idea and supporting key details of a text. U5W1-2
- visualize while reading. U5W1
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell where to understand the meaning of a word or phrases. U5W1&3
- correctly use and understand object pronouns and possessive pronouns in reading and writing. U5W1
- identify and use ellipses and em dashes in writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 10 - Developing Fluency: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use repeated subtraction to model division. (10-1)
record division as repeated subtraction (10-2)
use place value to understand the algorithm of long division. (10-3)
use the standard algorithm to divide a two-digit number by a one-digit number. (10-4)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers. (10-5)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers and properly decide where to begin dividing. (10-6)
estimate and find quotients for 4-digit dividends and 1-digit divisors. (10-7)
identify the hidden question in a multi-step problem and use the answer to solve the original problem. (10-8)
Science: Landforms, Weather, and the Water Cycle
- describe changes in the earth and water.
- observe and describe erosion.
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
*Landforms & Weather Test, Wednesday 3/5
- understand that different objects make different sounds.
- explain the difference between high and low pitches.
- explain that the source of sound is vibrations.
Week 24 Homework
3/3 - 3/10
- CCSS Skills Review #24
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - U5W1 Home Connection - Visualize & Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Math: Division
- Monday, March 3 - Lunch Theme, Dr. Seuss's Birthday
- Tuesday, March 4 - Chat N Chew, 4th & 5th grade
- Tuesday, March 4 - Early Dismissal 2:00pm
- Wednesday, March 5 - Winter Kickball League 3:40-4:30pm
- Wednesday, March 5 - Papa John's Pizza Night
- Wednesday, March 5 - Chat N Chew - 3rd Grade
- Thursday, March 6 - PTO 101 Meeting - dining room 9:00-10:15am
- Saturday, March 8 - CHE Carnival
- Wednesday, March 12 - Winter Kickball League
- Thursday, March 13 - Sunday, March 23 - SPRING BREAK
- Monday, March 24 - School Resumes
- Reading Kansas Assessment #1 - Monday 3/31 @ 2:00pm
- Reading Kansas Assessment #2 - Wednesday 4/2 @ 12:20pm
- Math Kansas Assessment #1 - Tuesday 4/8 @ 12:20pm
- Math Kansas Assessment #2 - Wednesday 4/9 @ 12:20pm
- Science Kansas Assessment #1 - Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm
- Science Kansas Assessment #2 - Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Wednesday - Day 2: Music
Thursday - Day 3: Art
Friday - Day 4: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!