Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, September 6, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
On Monday, your child will bring home another homework packet that includes math practice. The reading portion will be done entirely online this week. The students will go into our Weekly Homework assignment in Edmodo, open the reading homework link, and respond to the questions listed by clicking "turn in." They will also have the U1W4 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Sept. 23.
We will have our first Math Topic Test next Thursday, September 12th. On Monday, your child will bring home a "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and a "Quick Check" packet to help them prepare for the assessment. I have "assigned" a practice test on the enVision website that your child can do for extra practice.
Thank you for all of your wonderful donations to our classroom over the past few weeks. We are so grateful for all of your support!
We now have our MAP testing dates:
· Reading: 9/12 at 2:15pm
· Math: 9/17 at 2:15pm
Tuesday is an early dismissal day as well as picture day, we dismiss at 2:00.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com You will be receiving their usernames and passwords soon!
Thank you again for your patience with Edmodo. Please continue to hold off on going to the parent log in on Edmodo because we are still in the process of figuring out what is needed to meet the functionality that we want it to have.
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Our strings days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please help your child remember to bring his/her instrument on those days.
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: Life Stories
- refer to details and examples in a text to determine author's purpose.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- use knowledge of adjective suffixes to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use common Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
- engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned roles during inquiry.
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
- identify and produce different kinds of complete sentences (declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, & imperative).
- understand what Writer's Workshop should look like and sound like.
- "turn and talk" during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Multiplication and Division - Meanings and Facts
- recognize multiplication as repeated addition of equal groups used in arrays and comparisons.
- use patterns to find products with factors of 2, 5, and 9.
- use multiplication properties to simplify computations.
- use the Distributive Property to find products of the factors of 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 by breaking apart problems into simpler problems.
- recognize patterns and be able to continue the pattern.
- use and draw models to solve division problems.
- use arrays to write and complete multiplication and division fact families.
- identify multiplication facts related to division facts in order to solve division problems.
- draw pictures to problem solve multiplication situations and use the pictures to write number sentences.
Science: Natural Resources
- identify examples and effects of pollution.
- explain the importance of reusing, reducing, and recyclilng.
- identify ways to use energy supplies wisely.
This Week's Homework will come home on Tuesday, Sept. 3rd is due on Monday, Sept. 9th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 1-6, 1-7, and 1-8
- Topic 1 Math Assessment Thursday, 9/12
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Reading eBook Response page
- Unit 1 Week 3 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- No Study Island this week.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!