Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, February 8, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
No school Thursday, Friday, and Monday 2/14-2/18 due to conferences and President's Day.
There will be no Study Den on Monday 2/11 due to Conferences.
Our Valentine's party is 2/13 from 2:30-3:15. If you child would like to bring Valentine cards to school, they will need ot bring one for each student. Please send a container for your child to keep their Valentine goodies in.
Lunch Time Change: We will be eating lunch on Thursday, 2-21 from 11:30-12:00pm.
A note from Coach Miller...
We had a great time this week doing Jump Rope for Heart in P.E.! Thanks to everyone that donated money to the American Heart Association. Your child will be getting his/her donation gifts in a few weeks. If you are still interested in donating, you may do so anytime through February. Right now, we have raised close to $2,000! Money can be sent back to school in their Jump Rope for Heart envelope that was sent home several weeks ago or in a plain marked envelope. Donations can also be done online at www.heart.org/jump .
Here are the dates for our upcoming Kansas Assessments:
2/20, 2/22, 2/28 @ 12:40pm
3/4, 3/6, 3/12 @ 12:40pm
Enjoy the three day weekend!
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 3: A Nation's Beginning
- demonstrate understanding of connotation and denotation in word meanings.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- paraphrase and summarize by using his/her own words to tell the most important details and events from a story.
- use knowledge of homophones to determine or clarify the meaning of unknown words.
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell when to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use knowledge of inflected endings -s and -es to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use and understand reference materials, encyclopedias, almanacs, and an atlas.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Math: Plane Figures
- recognize, identify, and describe plane figures and their properties.
- recognize similar and congruent figures.
- identify plane figures used to form a composite figure.
- determine if geometric shapes and real-world objects contain lines symmetry and draw the lines of symmetry.
- recognize, perform, and describe a transformation (reflection/flip, rotation/turn, translation/slide).
*Plane Figures Unit Assessment Wednesday, February 13.
Social Studies: Explorers
- explain several factors that led to European exploration of the Americas in the 15th and 16th centuries.
- categorize artifacts of exploration.
- explain how the voyages of Christopher Columbus encouraged the major powers of Europe to explore the Americas between the 15th and 17th centuries.
- identify areas in North America claimed by explorers.
- describe the impact of expeditions.
This week's homework is due on Monday, February 19th.
- No weekly Math Practice this week.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- No weekly reading passage this week.
- Read 20 minutes per night
- No spelling test this week.
- Reading - Story Conflict
- Math - Object Transformations
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: Pe/Spanish
Thursday - No School
Friday - No School
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!