Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, November 1, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Our October Reading Calendars are due next Thursday, November 7th. We have a class goal that each student turns one in.
Tuesday is an Early Release day, we dismiss at 2:00pm.
The Scholastic Book Fair is this coming week. We will preview the Book Fair on Monday, Nov. 4 at 9:00am, and we will return on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 12:30pm to purchase. Please feel free to join us if you would like.
We will have our Math Topic 4 Test on Tuesday, November 5th. Today, your child will be bringing home the "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and the "Quick Check" packet to help them prepare for the assessment. They may do any of the activities on the enVision website to help them study/practice as well. There is a practice test in the text book that they may complete to practice as well and this can be accessed through the enVision website as well. I will not be assigning the topic test on the website for practice, since we are transitioning to taking the online assessment here at school.
We will also have our Earth Materials science test on Friday. The study guide for this test will be coming home on Monday.
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Graders have the opportunity to participate in an after-school Mathletics contest on Monday, November 18th from 4-5 p.m. with students from CHE and Sunset Ridge. Mathletics is a problem solving competition during which students work in teams of 3 to solve challenging math problems. If your child would like to participate in Mathletics, interest forms can be found on the CHE website. Interest forms are due by Friday, November 8th.
The 4th grade curriculum plan is available each month on the CHE website under the "Monthly Curriculum Plans" tab.
Cedar Hills is excited to welcome visiting author, Judy Young on Tuesday, November 12th. Judy Young is an award-winning author of children's fiction, poetry and nonfiction books. Judy is a frequent speaker at schools nationwide and her author visits include educational presentations for elementary and middle school students. She will be doing presentations with each grade level throughout the day. An order form will go home this week if you would like to order one or more of her books. She will autograph each book you purchase. All book orders are due Monday, November 4th. Please make checks payable to Judy Young. This very special and educationally beneficial program is made possible through Take Stock Donations and our CHE PTO.
Thank you for signing and returning the report card envelope.
Check the homework section below to see next week's homework.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: A Nation's Beginnings
- make generalizations from details in the text.
- demonstrate understanding of connotation and denotation while reading.
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell when to read and understand words.
- use correct capitalization when writing common and proper nouns.
- understand and use articles correctly while reading and writing.
- use adverbial phrases correctly in our writing.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- use life experiences, photographs, and objects to generate ideas for a personal narrative.
- understand and use personal narrative features in writing.
- narrow the writing focus for a personal narrative.
- write using the sequence-of-events test structure.
Math: Topic 4 - Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers
- apply a variety of methods to add and subtract whole numbers mentally. (4-1)
- round whole numbers to estimate sums and differences. (4-2)
- add numbers to hundreds and thousands with and without regrouping. (4-3)
- subtract numbers to thousands with and without regrouping. (4-4)
- subtract numbers with zeros to thousands. (4-5)
- use a picture or diagram to translate an everyday situation into a number sentence or equation. (4-6)
Topic 4 Assessment Tuesday, November 5th.
Math: Topic 5 - Number Sense: Multiplying by 1-Digit Numbers
- use arrays to multiply by 10 and 100. (5-1)
- use basic multiplication facts and number patterns to multiply by multiples of 10 and 100. (5-2)
- break apart numbers and use arrays to multiply 2-digit by 1-digit numbers. (5-3)
- use compensation to multiply numbers mentally. (5-4)
- use rounding to estimate solutions to multiplication problems. (5-5)
- check for reasonableness by making sure their calculation answer the questions asked and by using estimation to make srue the calculation was performed correctly. (5-6)
Science: Earth Materials
- collect and organize data.
- describe and record properties of minerals.
- observe and describe the physical properties of rocks.
Week 10 Homework
This week's homework will come home on Monday, Nov. 4th and is due on Monday, Nov. 11th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 4-6 & 5-2.
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - U3W1 Home Connection - Visualize p.56
- Unit 3 Week 2
- Science: Earth Materials
- Monday, Nov. 4 - Book Fair Preview 9:00-9:30am
- Tuesday, Nov. 5 - Early Dismissal @ 2:00pm & Topic 4 Math Test
- Wednesday, Nov. 6 - Book Fair Sales 12:30-1:00pm
- Thursday, Nov. 7 - Orchestra Concert at PRMS @ 6:30pm
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates. We are transitioning our classroom calendar onto Edmodo.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 2: Music
Tuesday - Day 3: Art
Wednesday - Day 4: Computers
Thursday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Friday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!