Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, December 14, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
This will be the last newsletter for the semester. It is hard to believe that the school year is almost half over!! I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all that you do for me and your kids! I want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday break! See you next year!
MONEY DUE Tuesday, 12-18!!
Fourth graders have the opportunity to participate in the Link Up program at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Please read the letter that was sent home with your child. Money is due by December 18th. You can access Mrs. Bowden's website through the link below if you need further information.
On Wednesday 12-19, your child may bring a special drink and pillow for our reading time in the afternoon. I will have a cooler for drinks.
We have a new student joining us next semester. David is moving here from California over the break. His first day with us will be on January 3rd. Please help us welcome David to our class community.
There will be Study Island homework assigned for the winter break. You child will have a chart in their notebook for you to initial as they complete each assigned task.
Study Den, the after school study club began on Thursday, September 20th for grades 1-5. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island. We have now added an additional day, Mondays!
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
LEAD 21: Mr. Marsh is going to be adding a new feature in the parent E-Update regarding LEAD 21. For the next several months, a special highlight of the program will be provided to parents. This week the feature is the LEAD 21 web page. Make sure to check it out!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 2: A Green Future
- refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise mening of key words and phrases.
- determine the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases using a range of strategies.
- use knowledge of prefixes that mean "not" to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- identify and use noun suffixes in writing.
Math: Products and Factors
- use arrays and repeated addition and subtraction to represent and solve multiplication and division problems.
- identify factors and multiples of any number 1-100.
- state the rule of a function table.
- find the missing value of a function table.
- find the rule and solve real-world problems with function.
- solves one- and two-step real-world problems using multiplication and division.
Science: Earth Materials
- collect and organize data.
- describe and record properties of minerals
- observe and describe the physical properties of rocks.
The Winter Break Homework is due on Friday, January 4th.
- No Weekly Math Practice this week
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- No Weekly Reading Passage this week
- Read 20 minutes per night
- No Spelling List this week
- Reading - Retelling Ideas and Events
- Math - Reading and writing numbers
- Science - Earth Materials
- Also pick your 3 lowest scores to work on.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
12/24 Monday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
12/25 Tuesday - Day 5: Pe/Spanish
12/26 Wednesday - Day 1: PE/Music
12/27 Thursday - No Specials/Dismiss at 11:45am.
1/3 - Thursday - Day 2: Computers
1/4 - Friday - Day3: Art
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!