Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, September 20, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
On Monday, your child will bring home the Week 3 Homework Packet that includes math practice. The reading portion will be done entirely online again this week. The students will go into our Weekly Homework assignment in Edmodo, open the reading homework link, and respond to the questions listed by clicking "turn in." They will also have the U1W4 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Sept. 30.
Conference sign-ups begin September 29th The sign up process is quick and easy. Each of you will be able to sign up for your preferred appointment.
1) Go to my web page (under "Classrooms") on the CHE web page ( www.bluevalleyk12.org/che )
2) Click "Parent Teacher Conferences"
3) Click "Register" for the event button and follow the directions.
Please note: a visitor log-in is required - you can create one during the process (do not use your ParentVue code)
We will have our Math Topic 2 Test on Monday, September 30th. Next Wednesday, your child will bring home a "Daily Common Core Practice" packet and a "Quick Check" packet to help them prepare for the assessment. Next week I will "assign" a practice test and lesson activities on the enVision website that your child can do for extra practice.
Friday, September 27th is an early dismissal day. We dismiss at 11:40.
Progress reports were sent home today. Please review it and send back the comments portion by September 27th.
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Our strings days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please help your child remember to bring his/her instrument on those days.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
We now have the much anticipated information on how we plan to utilize Edmodo for parent communication. I have attached an informational note to this newsletter, the School Messenger e-mail, and in the Newsletters Folder on Edmodo.
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: Life Stories
- sequence events.
- use knowledge of synonyms, context clues, and metaphors when reading unfamiliar words.
- use knowledge of common Greek and Latin roots to understand unfamiliar words.
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
- use a comma before a coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence.
- understand what Writer's Workshop should look like and sound like.
- follow the writing process during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Generate and Analyze Patterns
- identify and extend repeating geometric or repeating number patterns.
- identify and extend whole-number patterns involving addition and subtraction.
- extend tables of ordered pairs for situations involving multipliction, addition, or subtraction.
- find a rule and extend the table, given a table of number pairs.
- extend patterns of cubes or tiles.
- use the strategies Act It Out and Use Reasoning to solve problems.
*Topic 2 Math Assessment, Monday, September 30th
Social Studies: Native Americans
- identify examples of cultural adaptations made by Native American tribes.
- describe some of the natural environments that Native Americans encountered in North America.
- identify selected environmental factors that promoted cultural diversity among Native American groups.
This Week's Homework will come home on Monday, Sept. 23rd and is due on Monday, Sept. 30th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 2-2, 2-3, & 2-4
- Topic 2 Math Assessment - Monday, September 30th
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Sequence Events Passage and Edmodo reply
- Unit 2 Week 1 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- No Study Island this week.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - No Specials - 11:45 Dismissal
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!