Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, May 3, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
The kids really enjoyed the two learning excursions this week. Thank you to the PTO Take Stock in Cedar Hills program for funding these great learning experiences to the Kauffman Performing Arts Center and the Nerman Art Museum.
Spring MAP testing - We will continue our MAP testing on May 7th at 10:20 for Reading.
Due to the learning excursions and MAP testing this week, we have pushed our Fractions & Decimals Assessment back to Monday.
Our last early dismissal is Tuesday, May 7th and it is an Eat-N-Earn night at Twisters.
The 4th grade Human Growth and Development presentation will be held on Thursday, May 9th from 2:00-3:00pm. You can view the materials by contacting our school nurse, Kristi Mahanke.
We want to express our appreciation for your prompt return of the 2013-2014 enrollment packets as these help Mr. Marsh with staff planning for next year. If you are still working on these, please return them by May 30th. If you have any questions, please contact the office.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
Reading: Orange Week: Reviewing and Rereading Patterns in the Sky (p.194-252)
- analyze the structure of texts, including how parts of the text relate to each other and the whole.
- demonstrate understanding of analogies in word meanings.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
- use knowledge of comparative and superlative adjectives when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- demostrate proper use of contractions, subject pronouns, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns when writing and speaking.
- solve a problem using the basic order of operations with whole numbers.
- use different symbols and representations for division problems.
- divide through a 2-digit or 3-digit by 1-digit with or without a remainder.
- divide through a 2-digit or 3-digit by 2-digit with or without a remainder.
- solve real world problems using division.
Fractions & Decimals Unit Assessment on Monday, May 6th.
Social Studies: Ch.6 Early English Settlements & Ch.7 Comparing the Colonies
- describe the settlements, key challenges, and successes of Roanoke, Jamestown, and Plymouth.
- distinguish among New England, Middle, and Southern Colonies.
- list key features of the colonies of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Georgia.
This week's homework is due on Friday, May 10th.
- Math Practice #29
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Read 20 minutes per night
- U7W4 Spelling Lists
- No study island this week. :)
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!