Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, February 7, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
I hope that you all enjoyed the three snow days this week. As much as I enjoyed the extra time to play in the snow with my kids, I was glad to be back into a normal routine on Friday.
Our Valentine's party is Wednesday, February 12th from 2:30-3:15. If you child would like to bring Valentine cards to school, they will need ot bring one for each student. Please send a container for your child to keep their Valentine goodies in. Thank you to everyone who is contributing to our grade level party. The kids always have a great time, and we appreciate everything that you do to prepare for this fun event.
The deadline for the CHE 10 year commemorative cookbook has been extended to Monday. We need your recipes! Please see the information below in the "Worth Repeating" section to submit your recipes.
The deadline for the Kindest Kansas Citian is coming up on February 11th. This is a great opportunity for your child to nominate someone special in their life. More information is listed below in the "Worth Repeating" section.
We will not have school next Thursday or Friday due to Parent Teacher Conferences.
School will not be in session on Monday, January 17th in observance of Presidents Day.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a wonderful extended weekend!
We are on a search for the "Kindest Kansas Citian". Every child in the school has an opportunity to nominate an adult they believe is the Kindest Kansas Citian. The nominations will be sent to STOP Violence, a program through Synergy Services. Information was sent home at the beginning of the week. Look for a letter and a nomination form in your child's backpack. This is a voluntary program but I would love to see everyone honor someone through a nomination. The deadline for turning in entries will be February 11th . Please call Mrs. DeJesus if you have any questions.
Our next learning excursion is coming up. We will be visiting the Lanesfield one-room school house on Wednesday, February 19th. Thank you for returning those permissions slips. If you would like to go, we do still have one spot open. Let me know if you would like to go along.
This is the last week to submit recipes for the CHE Cookbook ! In commemoration of Cedar Hills' 10 year celebration we are very excited to announce that we are going to produce our first CHE Cookbook, and we NEED YOUR HELP! The cookbook will be comprised of recipes from YOU! We are asking that you share your favorite recipes to make this everyone's favorite cookbook. All you need to do is click the link below, choose "ADD RECIPES", and fill in the information needed. The procedure is EASY and we look forward to each of you sharing one or more recipes with us! This link will be open for 3 WEEKS ONLY , the deadline to submit your recipes is February 7th. We welcome recipes from grandparents, aunts, neighbors, the more the merrier! http://www.typensave.com/app/#
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
- identify text structure of a specific sentence, paragraph, or entire text.
- ask and answer questions while reading.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to understand the meaning of a word or phrases.
- demonstrate understanding of word relationships & meanings by classifying words.
- correctly use and understand irregular verbs in reading and writing.
- correctly use and understand comparatives and superlatives, subject & object pronouns, contractions, and possessive pronouns in reading and writing.
Writing: Science Fiction
- recognize and use science fiction features while writing.
- recognize and use a problem & solution text structure while writing.
- use descriptive words while writing a science fiction story.
- use proper sequencing and transition words & phrases in a science fiction writing.
- use an ominous or dark tone of voice in a science fiction writing.
Math: Topic 10 - Developing Fluency: Dividing by One Digit Divisors
use repeated subtraction to model division. (10-1)
record division as repeated subraction (10-2)
use place value to understand the algorithm of long division. (10-3)
use the standard algorithm to divide a two-digit number by a one-digit number. (10-4)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers. (10-5)
use the standard algorithm to divide 3-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers and properly decide where to begin dividing. (10-6)
estimate and find quotients for 4-digit dividends and 1-digit divisors. (10-7)
identify the hidden question in a multi-step problem and use the answer to solve teh original problem. (10-8)
Science: Landforms, Weather, and the Water Cycle
- describe changes in the earth and water.
- observe and describe erosion.
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
Week 21 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #21
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Safeshare Video & Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- No spelling this week
- Practice lowest Study Island skills
- Monday, February 10 - Thursday, February 13 - Parent/Teacher Conf.
- Wednesday, February 13 - Valentine's Day Parties 2:30-3:15
- Monday, February 17 - No School - Presidents Day
- Wednesday, February 19 - Lanesfield Learning Excursion
- Tuesday, February 25 - Early Dismissal
*Please check our Edmodo calendar for important dates.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Computers
Wednesday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Thursday - NO SCHOOL
Friday - NO SCHOOL
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!