Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, August 30, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
On Tuesday, your child will bring home a homework packet that includes math and reading practice. They will also have the U1W2 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Sept. 9. The students will be required to respond to a post in Edmodo regarding their homework. They have their login information and have been practicing in computer class.
Please hold off on going to the parent log in on Edmodo because we are still in the process of figuring out what is needed to meet the functionality that we want it to have. Thank you for being patient during this process.
Your child is bringing home the September reading calendar today. Please have your child record their reading minutes daily. Our class goal is that each student turns their calendar in each month. Our school reading goal for each semester is 1,110,110 with a total of 2,220,220 for the year.
Sept. 6 is Red Friday. Wear red to support the Kansas City Chiefs!
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Have a wonderful weekend!
A note from the new Strings teacher: It was so great meeting your 4th graders yesterday. I hope that you all received the Strings Enrollment Packet. If your child chooses strings, please fill out and return the enrollment form as soon as possible. When your child has his/her instrument, please send it to school. I will put finger tapes on instruments next week. We will meet for the first time as a class on September 5th. Thank you for your support.
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: Life Stories
- refer to details and examples in a text to determine author's purpose.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- use knowledge of adjective suffixes to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use common Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
- engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned roles during inquiry.
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
- identify and produce different kinds of complete sentences (declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, & imperative).
- understand what Writer's Workshop should look like and sound like.
- "turn and talk" during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Multiplication and Division - Meanings and Facts
- recognize multiplication as repeated addition of equal groups used in arrays and comparisons.
- use patterns to find products with factors of 2, 5, and 9.
- use multiplication properties to simplify computations.
- use the Distributive Property to find products of the factors of 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 by breaking apart problems into simpler problems.
- recognize patterns and be able to continue the pattern.
- use and draw models to solve division problems.
- use arrays to write and complete multiplication and division fact families.
- identify multiplication facts related to division facts in order to solve division problems.
- draw pictures to problem solve multiplication situations and use the pictures to write number sentences.
Social Studies: Geography
- use latitude and longitude to find locations.
- define key landforms and bodies of water.
- identify key parts of a world map.
- identify major physical features.
*Geography Unit Assessment 9/4/13 - Study Guides came home on Thursday.
Science: Natural Resources
- identify examples and effects of pollution.
- explain the importance of reusing, reducing, and recyclilng.
- identify ways to use energy supplies wisely.
This Week's Homework will come home on Tuesday, Sept. 3rd is due on Monday, Sept. 9th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Lessons 1-3, 1-4, and 1-5
- No writing homework this week.
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Reading Comprehension Strategy & Skill Practice p.6-7
- Unit 1 Week 2 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- No Study Island this week.
- Geography Unit Assessment 9/4/13 - Study guides came home on Thursday.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - No School
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!