Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Saturday, April 18, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Thank you to the CHE PTO for funding the Main Street USA learning excursion this week. Also, a special thanks to all who volunteered. We are very fortunate to have such supportive parents here at CHE. Thank you!
Tuesday, April 22nd is Spring Picture Day.
Wednesday, April 23rd is a Papa John's Eat-N-Earn Night.
The Spring Book Fair is coming to CHE from April 30th through May 1st. We will be able to take advantage of BOGO discounts during this sale. Our class will visit the book fair on April 30th from 1:00pm to 1:30pm. You are welcome to join your child at that time.
As we get closer to the end of the school year and excitement builds, we seem to be struggling a bit more with self-control and following directions. Many routines and directions we have had in place since August are being forgotten. Any discussions you can have at home with your child as reminders would be appreciated. Thank you.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a great week!
Due to some unexpected interruptions in the online assessment system, our Kansas Assessment dates have changed a tad! Mark these updated dates on your calendar.
Monday 4/21 @ 12:40pm - Science #2
A note from Mrs. Bowden - I am excited to announce that our recorder concerts are approaching! Students will be performing in two concerts this year on the following dates and times:
The Kauffman Center For The Performing Arts, April 29th, at 10:00 a.m.
Parents and guests are cordially invited to the afternoon performance at 2:30, where the Sunflower Ambassador recipients will be acknowledged as well! The Kauffman Center performance is a wonderful opportunity for our young musicians, so I will be making a video compilation of the two outstanding performances as a keepsake. Parents, this is a great way to view parts of the Kauffman Center performance, since this is a student-centered performance only. Please note: there will be no evening performance on the 17th.
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 5: America's Heartland
- identify cause and effect by referring to details and examples in a text. U5W3-4
- determine important information while reading. U5W4
- use knowledge of Greek & Latin roots to understand the meaning of a word or phrases. U5W2&4
- demonstrate understanding of antonyms, similies, and using a thesaurus in phrases and word meanings. U5W4
- correctly use commas in a series in reading and writing. U5W4
- identify and correctly use possessive nouns in writing. 3.A
Writing: Informational Reports
- understand elements of an informational report by listening to a mentor text. 3.2 & 3.3
- use personal interests guiding questions to brainstorm informational report topics. 3.4
- identify and analyze informational report features. 3.5
- use idea evaluation questions to narrow the writing focus for information reports. 3.6
- analyze the text structure and recognize the difference between credible and noncredible sources. 3.7
- evaluate Internet sources and recognize the difference between credible and noncredible sources. 3.8
Math: Topic 11 - Fraction Equivalence and Ordering
- use multiplication facts to find factors of whole numbers. 11-1
- identify prime and composite numbers. 11-2
- find the multiples of a number. 11-3
- use models and computation to show equivalent fractions. 11-4
- use a number line to identify and write equivalent fractions. 11-5
- use benchmark fractions to compre fractions with unlike denominators. 11-6
- use common denominators and equivalent fractions to order fractions with unlike denominators. 11-7
- write to explain whether an answer is correct or not. 11-8
Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- trace the path of the energy flow.
- assemble electrical circuits that will produce light, heat, and sound.
- demonstrate magnetic properties.
- investigate practical applications of magnetism.
Week 29 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #27
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - U6W1 Home Connection - Make Inferences - Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- U7W2 Spelling Lists
- Science: Magnets & Electricity
- Monday 4/21 @ 12:40pm - Science Kansas Assessment #2
- Tuesday, 4/22 - Early Dismissal @ 2:00pm
- Tuesday, 4/22 - Spring Pictures
- Thursday, 4/24 - ESOL Parent Night @ 5:30pm
- Tuesday, 4/29 - 4th Grade Learning Excursion to Symphony Recorder Concert
- Wednesday, 4/30 - Spring Book Fair @ 1:00pm - 1:30pm
- Friday, 5/2 - Kindest Kansas Citian Assembly @ 2:00pm
- Monday, 5/12 - 4th Grade Growth & Development @ 1:00pm - 2:00pm
- Monday, 5/19 - Wilderness Science Center Learning Excursion (Auvigne & Kenney)
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!