Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, October 19, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Report cards were sent home today. These do not need to be returned.
I am looking forward to meeting with you at your scheduled conference next week.
No School on October 24th and 25th. Have a nice long weekend!
There will now be an additional day for students to attend the PTO funded Cheetah Study Den. It will now be held on Mondays and Thursdays in the library until 4:30. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Salty Iguana PTO Eat N Earn Night is Tuesday, October 23rd.
Early Dismissal is Tuesday, October 30th.
Our next learning excursion will be to the Wilderness Science Center on November 8th. I will need six volunteers to go with us for that day. We will be gone from 9:00-2:30. The program has a new director this year and the activities for the day look like lots of fun. Please consider joining us for this trip.
As you are planning your child's Halloween costume, keep in mind that pretend weapons are not allowed. Your child will have plenty of time to change into their costume before the parade begins at 2:00. Please send their costume to school in a bag.
Blue Valley Special Olympics Bowl-a-Thon is coming up. As you know, BVSD supports the BV Special Olympics and many of the athletes are students in our schools.
24th Annual Bowl-a-Thon and Silent Auction
Benefiting the Blue Valley Blue Streaks Special Olympics Team
Saturday, November 3rd at AMF College Lanes at 3:30-5:30
Bowl, win prizes and bid on great deals in the silent auction. Proceeds help buy team uniforms, equipment, and awards. Open to the entire community with a minimum of $25 in pledges per bowler.
If parents and children are interested in joining Emma's team, they can contact her mom, Enid, for additional information on registration and fundraising. (816-694-9078 or firstname.lastname@example.org )
Have a wonderful weekend!
We are starting a walk/run club to promote fitness and community in our school. This started on Wednesday, October 3rd, from 3:50-4:45. Individual students and/or families are invited to participate each Wednesday. We will meet outside on the kickball field and use the fitness track to walk/run with friends and family. There are permission slips available in the office or you can print one from our website under forms and documents. Please return the form to Coach Miller.
Study Den, the after school study club began on Thursday, September 20th for grades 1-5. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island. We have now added an additional day, Mondays!
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
LEAD 21: Mr. Marsh is going to be adding a new feature in the parent E-Update regarding LEAD 21. For the next several months, a special highlight of the program will be provided to parents. This week the feature is the LEAD 21 web page. Make sure to check it out!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 1: Life Stories
- analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
- determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade level content.
- recognize and define common Greek and Latin affixes and roots (units of meaning).
- read grade-level text fluently and show comprehension through voice, timing, and expression.
- use suspense in writing a mystery.
- choose an idea about which to write with an occasional use of a teacher prompt.
- develop one clear main idea that is supported with relevant details.
- use pre-writing strategies independently to organize ideas on a topic or prompt and complete a draft.
Math: Geometric Investigations
- calculate the perimeter and area of polygons.
- estimate and solve real-world problems involving perimeter and area
- recognize points, lines (intersecting, parallel, and perpendicular), line segments, and rays.
- identify acute, right, and obtuse angles.
Science: Weather and the Water Cycle
- understand the process of the water cycle.
- identify appropriate weather tools.
- describe daily changes in temperature.
Our Landforms & Weather and Water Cycle unit test will be on Wednesday, October 24th. The study guide came home today.
This Week's Homework is due on Friday, October 26th.
- There will not be a Math Practice assigned this week.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- There will not be a reading passage assigned this week.
- Read 20 minutes per night
- There will not be a spelling list this week.
- Science - Pre-test (Please choose 30 questions in practice mode)
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Tuesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Wednesday -Day 1: PE/Music
Thursday - No School
Friday - No School
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!