Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, November 30, 2012
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break! We have had a productive week back.
We will be having a Social Studies test on Wednesday, December 5th over our Native Americans unit. A study guide will be coming home on Monday. As with our previous Social Studies test, an online tutorial can be found at the following address:
PTO Eat N Earn night at Noodles & Company on Tuesday, December 4th.
Has your child talked to you about how much they like cup-stacking? Cup-stacking is a great brain-based activity that helps with fine motor skills and promotes ambidexterity. To purchase cups, go to www.speedstacks.com and click "shop" and "group order store." Follow the steps and use a credit card to purchase (no shipping costs!). 10% of the money spent in the group order will go to Coach Miller to purchase more cup-stacking equipment for P.E. They make great holiday gifts! All items will be sent to Coach Miller for you to pick up before the holiday break. The group closes on December 3rd. You can also find out more information on Coach Miller's website at www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller .
We are starting a walk/run club to promote fitness and community in our school. This started on Wednesday, October 3rd, from 3:50-4:45. Individual students and/or families are invited to participate each Wednesday. We will meet outside on the kickball field and use the fitness track to walk/run with friends and family. There are permission slips available in the office or you can print one from our website under forms and documents. Please return the form to Coach Miller.
Study Den, the after school study club began on Thursday, September 20th for grades 1-5. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island. We have now added an additional day, Mondays!
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
LEAD 21: Mr. Marsh is going to be adding a new feature in the parent E-Update regarding LEAD 21. For the next several months, a special highlight of the program will be provided to parents. This week the feature is the LEAD 21 web page. Make sure to check it out!
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 2: A Green Future
- refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise mening of key words and phrases.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- identify and use noun suffixes in writing.
Math: Numbers and Number Operations
- identify and write four number sentences for a fact family.
- identify and use properties of multiplication and addition.
- identify the place value of a digit and name the value of a digit from the hundredths place through the hundred thousands place.
- identify and write numbers using numerals, words, models, and expanding notation.
- solve one- and two-step real-world problems.
Social Studies: Native Americans, Their Land, and Their Cultural Regions
- list seven Native American cultural regions.
- identify environmental factors that promoted cultural diversity among Native Americans.
- describe examples of cultural adaptations made by Native Americans.
- research and describe a Native American Tribe.
Native American Unit Assessment Wednesday, December 5th.
Science: Earth Materials
- collect and organize data.
- describe and record properties of minerals
- observe and describe the physical properties of rocks.
This Week's Homework is due on Monday, November 26th.
- Helen Keller
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Math Practice #13
- Read 20 minutes per night
- Unit 3 Week 4 Spelling Lists
- Reading - Graphic Organizers
- Math - Geometric Patterns
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Tuesday - Day 5: Pe/Spanish
Wednesday - Day 1: PE/Music
Thursday - Day 2: Computers
Friday - Day 3: Art
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!