Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, February 1, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Today is the last day to sign up for parent-teacher conferences.
The electronic Parent-Teacher Conference sign upprocess is quick and easy - simply follow these steps: 1) Go to my web site under "Classrooms" on the Cedar Hills' webpage 2) Click Parent-Teacher Conferences (on the left side navigation bar) 3) Click Registe for this event button and follow the directions.
Monday, Feb. 4 Cheetah Fun Day - Skate City 6-8pm
Tuesday, Feb. 5 is a PTO Eat-N-Earn Night at Noodles & Co.
A note from Mrs. Bowden...
Cheetah Choir - Cheetah Choir is for 4th and 5th grade students who love to sing. This is a formal choir setting, where we will be singing literature that is in two or three harmonies. The Cheetah Choir will prepare one piece to perform at the Pleasant Ridge Middle School Choir Festival on March 5th. While at the festival, they will learn one more piece to perform with all participating choirs. Students that participate in the Cheetah Choir are required to attend all rehearsals and the performance. If you would like to participate in, Cheetah Choir, please pick up a participation form from Mrs. Bowden and return before, February 7th.
Thursday, February 7
Thursday, February 12
Tuesday, February 21
Thursday, February 28
Time : 3:40-4:40 p.m.
Special Performance date and time:
March 5, 4:00-5:30 p.m. PRMS gymnasium
Enjoy the three day weekend!
Did you know that February is heart month? Our annual Jump Rope for Heart week is coming up soon! This is a great way to show our friends and community that we care about having healthy hears and saving lives. Donation envelopes have been sent home - you can send cash or check back in the envelope or create a web page online to send emails out to family and friends ( www.heart.org/jump ). Your child will receive thank you gifts for the money raised. With your help, we hope to raise $3,000 this year to give to the American Heart Association. Visit www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller for more info.
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 3: A Nation's Beginning
- demonstrate understanding of connotation and denotation in word meanings.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- paraphrase and summarize by using his/her own words to tell the most important details and events from a story.
- use knowledge of homophones to determine or clarify the meaning of unknown words.
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell when to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use knowledge of inflected endings -s and -es to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use and understand reference materials, encyclopedias, almanacs, and an atlas.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Math: Plane Figures
- recognize, identify, and describe plane figures and their properties.
- recognize similar and congruent figures.
- identify plane figures used to form a composite figure.
- determine if geometric shapes and real-world objects contain lines symmetry and draw the lines of symmetry.
- recognize, perform, and describe a transformation (reflection/flip, rotation/turn, translation/slide).
Social Studies: Explorers
- explain several factors that led to European exploration of the Americas in the 15th and 16th centuries.
- categorize artifacts of exploration.
- explain how the voyages of Christopher Columbus encouraged the major powers of Europe to explore the Americas between the 15th and 17th centuries.
- identify areas in North America claimed by explorers.
- describe the impact of expeditions.
This week's homework is due on Friday, February 8th.
- Math Practice #19
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Mary and Her Little Lamb
- Read 20 minutes per night
- Unit 5 Week 2 Spelling List
- Reading - Main Idea and Supporting Details
- Math - Number Patterns
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: Pe/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!