Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, March 24, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
THANK YOU to everyone who donated money to the American Heart Association during Jump Rope for Heart last month. Our students had a great time showing how to have healthy hearts by doing jump rope activities in P.E. Through your generous donations, we exceeded our goal of $3,000 and raised a grand total of $3,767!! We appreciate your support to this worthy cause.
Early Dismissal this Tuesday, March 26th.
We have moved our science test to Tuesday, April 2nd over metric measurement. Study guides will be sent home later this week.
Explorer Research Project - Your child will be putting together a presentation for their explorer research. They will bring home their explorer research and flipbooks with instructions for their final project. This is a homework project that will be due on April 9th. Please let me know if you have any questions.
3rd Quarter report cards will be sent home on Friday, March 29.
Here are the REVISED dates for our Kansas Assessments:
3/28 & 4/12 @ 12:40pm
4/5 @ 2:00pm
4/9 @ 12:40pm
I hope that you had a wonderful spring break!
A Note from Mrs. Bowden,
Hello 4th Grade Students and Parents! Our performances at The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, and at Cedar Hills are approaching. There has been an overwhelming amount of students wanting to practice outside of school, so I have added audio files to my website for you to practice at home. Follow these steps to find the practice page; don't forget to add it to your favorites once you are there!
1. Go to Cedar Hills Elementary web site
2. Click on, Classrooms, on the left hand side.
3. Click on, Performing Arts.
4. Click on, Carey Bowden - General Music.
5. Click on, Class Projects.
6. Click on the number, 4.
7. username: bowden
8. ** Add to favorites**
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
Reading: "Exploring Space" Introduction-Chapter 2 (p.194-209)
- distinguish fact and opinion by using details and examples in the text .
- demonstrate understanding of synonyms in word meanings.
- use knowledge of noun suffixes to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- identify personal narrative genre features.
- analyze the sequence-of-events text structure and recognize signal language use in sequence-of-events text structure.
- use a tone of conviction when writing a personal narrative.
- use quotations correctly when writing dialogue.
- multiply 3 and 4-digit by one digit numbers.
- mentally multiply numbers ending in zero.
- multiply 2-digit by 2-digit numbers.
- estimate products.
- solve multi-step real-world problems using multiplication.
Science: Metric Measurement
- identify and use metric measurement tools and vocabulary to determine length, weight, temperature, and volume.
- demonstrate understanding of metric unit conversions for length, weight, temperature, and volume.
- make reasonable estimations of length, weight, temperature, and volume.
** Metric Measurement Assessment on Tuesday, 4/2
This week's homework is due on Friday, March 29th.
- Math Practice #23 (will be sent home on 3/25)
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Zapped (will be sent home on 3/25)
- Read 20 minutes per night
- U6W2 Spelling Lists (Pre-test on 3/25)
- Reading #1 - Characters
- Reading #2 - Setting
- Math#1 - Temperature
- Math #2 - Time
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday 3/25 - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Tuesday 3/26 - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Wednesday 3/27 - Day 1: PE/Music
Thursday 3/28 - Day 2: Computers
Friday 3/29 - Day 3: Art
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!