Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Saturday, April 12, 2014
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Students do not have school on Monday, April 14th. The staff will be involved in district wide professional development.
Thank you so much to everyone who came out to our Learning Fair Open House on Thursday night. The students have worked so hard this year and it was great watching them show off their many successes to you Thursday evening!
We Still Need Parent Volunteers!!!!!! We are in need of 15 4th grade parent volunteers for our learning excursion below. As of Friday, we are now up to 7 full day volunteers and 4 half day volunteers in the entire grade level. We need at least 6 more!! This experience cannot happen without your wonderful support and participation. Please consider joining us for this great experience! Please and Thank you!! :)
We have a learning excursion coming up on April 16th. We will be traveling to district office to take part in a Main Street USA Colonial Times activity. We are in need of volunteers who would be willing to go to district office prior to our arrival to help set up, lead and facilitate activities throughout our day, and help tear down after we depart. Please let me know if you are interested in helping with this wonderful activity.
Tuesday, April 22nd is Spring Picture Day.
Be sure to check the Upcoming Events section below to see a full listing of activities.
Have a great week!
Due to some unexpected interruptions in the online assessment system, our Kansas Assessment dates have changed a tad! Mark these updated dates on your calendar.
- Tuesday 4/8 @ 12:20pm - Reading #2
- Wednesday 4/9 @ 12:20pm - Math #1
- Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm - Math #2
- Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm - Science #1
- Monday 4/21 @ 12:40pm - Science #2
A note from Mrs. Bowden - I am excited to announce that our recorder concerts are approaching! Students will be performing in two concerts this year on the following dates and times:
CHE Gym, April 17th, at 2:30 p.m.
The Kauffman Center For The Performing Arts, April 29th, at 10:00 a.m.
Parents and guests are cordially invited to the afternoon performance at 2:30, where the Sunflower Ambassador recipients will be acknowledged as well! The Kauffman Center performance is a wonderful opportunity for our young musicians, so I will be making a video compilation of the two outstanding performances as a keepsake. Parents, this is a great way to view parts of the Kauffman Center performance, since this is a student-centered performance only. Please note: there will be no evening performance on the 17th.
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
Reading: Unit 5: America's Heartland
- identify cause and effect by referring to details and examples in a text. U5W3-4
- determine important information while reading. U5W4
- use knowledge of Greek & Latin roots to understand the meaning of a word or phrases. U5W2&4
- demonstrate understanding of antonyms, similies, and using a thesaurus in phrases and word meanings. U5W4
- correctly use commas in a series in reading and writing. U5W4
- identify and correctly use possessive nouns in writing. 3.A
Writing: Informational Reports
- make connections to nonfiction topics through sharing facts and viewing photographs, books, magazine articles, and Internet articles. 3.1
- understand elements of an informational report by listening to a mentor text. 3.2 & 3.3
- use personal interests guiding questions to brainstorm informational report topics. 3.4
- identify and analyze informational report features. 3.5
- use idea evaluation questions to narrow the writing focus for information reports. 3.6
- analyze the text structure and recognize the difference between credible and noncredible sources. 3.7
- evaluate Internet sources and recognize the difference between credible and noncredible sources. 3.8
Math: Topic 16 - Lines, Angles, and Shapes
- identify and describe points, lines, and planes. 16-1
- identify parts of lines and types of angles using geometric terms. 16-2
- use unit angles and fractions of a circle to find angle measures. 16-3
- use a smaller angle to measure a larger angle by repeating the unit. 16-4
- measure and draw angles. 16-5
- find unknown angle measures by adding and subtracting. 16-6
- identify, sort, and classify polygons. 16-7
- identify, sort, and classify triangles. 16-8
- identify, sort, and classify quadrilaterals. 16-9
- determine if a plane figure has line symmetry and, if so, how many lines of symmetry it has. 16-10
- solve problems by making and testing generalizations. 16-11
*Lines, Angles, and Shapes Topic test on Wednesday, April 16th
Math: Topic 11 - Fraction Equivalence and Ordering
- use multiplication facts to find factors of whole numbers. 11-1
- identify prime and composite numbers. 11-2
- find the multiples of a number. 11-3
- use models and computation to show equivalent fractions. 11-4
- use a number line to identify and write equivalent fractions. 11-5
- use benchmark fractions to compre fractions with unlike denominators. 11-6
- use common denominators and equivalent fractions to order fractions with unlike denominators. 11-7
- write to explain whether an answer is correct or not. 11-8
Science: Magnetism & Electricity
- trace the path of the energy flow.
- assemble electrical circuits that will produce light, heat, and sound.
- demonstrate magnetic properties.
- investigate practical applications of magnetism.
Week 28 Homework
- CCSS Skills Review #27
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Video - Edmodo post
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- U7W1 Spelling Lists
- Math: Symmetry
- Monday, 4/14 - No School, Professional Development Day
- Tuesday 4/15 @ 2:00pm - Math Kansas Assessment #2
- Wednesday, 4/16 - 4th Grade Learning Excursion, Main Street USA Colonial Days
- Thursday, 4/17 - 4th Grade Recorder Concert, 2:45pm
- Friday 4/18 @ 2:00pm - Science Kansas Assessment #1
- Monday 4/21 @ 12:40pm - Science Kansas Assessment #2
- Tuesday, 4/22 - Early Dismissal @ 2:00pm
- Tuesday, 4/22 - Spring Pictures
- Thursday, 4/24 - ESOL Parent Night @ 5:30pm
- Tuesday, 4/29 - 4th Grade Learning Excursion to Symphony Recorder Concert
- Wednesday, 4/30 - Friday, 5/2 - Spring Book Fair
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - No School
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!