Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, April 26, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Our 4th grade recorder concert is this Tuesday the 30th at 2:45 and 6:30pm. Mrs. Bowden is asking that the students arrive at 6:18pm. The letter that came home is attached to this newsletter.
It is time for Spring MAP testing. We will take our Math MAP test on May 1st at 12:40 and our Reading MAP test on May 7th at 10:20.
We will be heading to the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts on Thursday, May 2nd. We will be leaving school promptly at 9:00am and returning by noon for our regular lunchtime. Please make sure your child brings his/her recorder that day.
We will be visiting the Spring Book Fair on Thursday, May 2nd at 1:00pm.
We will be heading to the Nerman Art Museum at JCCC on Friday, May 3rd. If you are interested in attending with us, please let me know. We have room to take 6 parent volunteers and we would love to have you!
Our last early dismissal is Tuesday, May 7th!
The 4th grade Human Growth and Development presentation will be held on Thursday, May 9th from 2:00-3:00pm. You can view the materials by contacting our school nurse, Kristi Mahanke.
We want to express our appreciation for your prompt return of the 2013-2014 enrollment packets as these help Mr. Marsh with staff planning for next year. If you are still working on these, please return them by May 30th. If you have any questions, please contact the office.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!
Three of our 4th grade friends will be walking for the March of Dimes on April 28th at 10am starting at the Sprint Center. Please email Taff Hodges if you are interested. email@example.com .
A Music Note from Mrs. Bowden...This is a reminder that your child's performance is approaching on April 30th, at 2:45 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. This performance is what we have been working toward this entire school year with reading music on the staff and performing on instruments. With spring time and sports schedules, please remember that students need to be in attendance at this performance. It should be about 30 minutes in length.
A Note from Mrs. Bowden,
Hello 4th Grade Students and Parents! Our performances at The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, and at Cedar Hills are approaching. There has been an overwhelming amount of students wanting to practice outside of school, so I have added audio files to my website for you to practice at home. Follow these steps to find the practice page; don't forget to add it to your favorites once you are there!
1. Go to Cedar Hills Elementary web site
2. Click on, Classrooms, on the left hand side.
3. Click on, Performing Arts.
4. Click on, Carey Bowden - General Music.
5. Click on, Class Projects.
6. Click on the number, 4.
7. username: bowden
8. ** Add to favorites**
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 4: Patterns in the Sky
Reading: Orange Week: Reviewing and Rereading Patterns in the Sky (p.194-252)
- analyze the structure of texts, including how parts of the text relate to each other and the whole.
- demonstrate understanding of analogies in word meanings.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- use knowledge of comparative and superlative adjectives when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- demostrate proper use of contractions, subject pronouns, object pronouns, and possessive pronouns when writing and speaking.
Math: Fractions & Decimals
- classify numbers as whole numbers, mixed numbers, fractions, or decimals.
- read and write fractions and decimals to the hundredths.
- add and subtract fractions with like denominators.
- compare and order fractions and decimals.
- solve real-world problems that include fractions and decimals.
- estimate fractions in real-world problems.
- figure correct change through $20.00.
Fractions & Decimals Unit Assessment on Friday, May 3rd.
Social Studies: Ch.6 Early English Settlements & Ch.7 Comparing the Colonies
- describe the settlements, key challenges, and successes of Roanoke, Jamestown, and Plymouth.
- distinguish among New England, Middle, and Southern Colonies.
- list key features of the colonies of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Georgia.
This week's homework is due on Friday, May 3rd.
- Math Practice #28
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- The History of a Toy
- Read 20 minutes per night
- U7W3 Spelling Lists
- Science - Laboratory Tools & Safety
- Math - Measuring Objects
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day3: Art
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: PE/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!